Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And it passed here in Chicago. Now, this car has a stage 5 ecu and all the goodies, and all they did was plug a device into the odbc2 and two minutes later I was out the door. The reason why I'm posting this is because I moved from Ca where they plug the car in and scan it, then they put it on the dyno and test it, and when that is over you either pass or fail the rolling dyno, the odb 2 test or the visual. If you fail one, you are done. The ca test takes about 30 minutes as well, if not longer, Just kind of cracks me up how tough Ca is and how easy IL is.
What also cracks me up is the fact that IL is in debt up the wazooo, and the test cost me nothing. I think it's the only thing related to the state that I have not had to pay anything out my pocket.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Its not really a smog test I'm guessing, just checking the readiness monitors to make sure that you didn't just clear the check engine light while pulling in the parking lot for your inspection.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not really a smog test I'm guessing, just checking the readiness monitors to make sure that you didn't just clear the check engine light while pulling in the parking lot for your inspection.[/QUOTE
That's my point, if this is all that I have to do then I'm stoked, and now I know why there are so many gross polluters here.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I was so happy when my stage 5 ng900 passed CA smog, but I had to find a guy who would "forget" the visual inspection since it is ridiculous that the look of the car takes equal weight to the mechanics. It took about 30 minutes for my test which is a dyno driven test at 15 and 25mph speeds.

To me, the scariest thing about CA emissions is that you can be pulled over at any time and could be given a sniffer test roadside.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Same sort of test here in Vt., as long as the car passes a "readiness" test and the cel is not on, you're good. OBD2 cars only, no emissions test for pre 96 cars. But here you're paying, pass or fail (usually)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Same sort of test here in Vt., as long as the car passes a "readiness" test and the cel is not on, you're good. OBD2 cars only, no emissions test for pre 96 cars. But here you're paying, pass or fail (usually)
same story in MA and NH as well.

its only easy to pass if you can alter and tune the ECU, if not, almost anything will toss a CEL, and thus fail

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
CA sucks, what a bunch of fascists. One more reason to never live there. Loudon county VA, where I'm at, requires a smog test. Really I think the whole thing is stupid when our government doesn't test ANY of its civilian or military vehicles. Glad to see you made it through with your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts