Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just bought a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon & was wondering if there's anything I should be on the lookout for. It only has 58K miles on it so it's pretty fresh. I will be asking for upgrades in the near future but for now just curious what the common problems are, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well welcome welcome. Problems you should look out for are your headlight wiper motor burning out and knock.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i dont know much about 9-5s other than they look nice!! hha ha well welcome and great choice of cars...what color is it? have any pics?

·
Registered
475 Posts
#1 thing to do is have the PCV system inspected, hoses and check valve replaced, oil trap opening bored out and have the head bolts checked for proper torquing. If you take it to the dealer and ask for the PCV fix, they will know what you mean and should charge about $100-$150. If you are handy you can DIY. Don't do the latest update which taps the oil filler neck. You want the fix before that fix was introduced. If you really want to know how to do it, let me know and I'll give you more detailed info. The PCV system is the weak link in the 9-5 and leads to all sorts of other problems. To make things worse, if your headbolts are loose, your PCV system can then get all effed up. These are the main thing that gets over looked though... Here's a short list.

PCV updates
head bolt torquing
spark plugs (very critical to replace..this is a super easy DIY job and you don't need the more expensive platinum plugs. platinum plugs replace every 30k, copper plugs every year or so)

If these three things are kept up along with fresh oil obviously, you will be good to go. There are other things to keep an eye out for such as suspension and exhaust but the 3 things above are the real things to watch out for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

xaamottomaax, I'm interested in learning more. I'm very mechanically inclined so doing it myself isn't a problem. I was browsing the boards yesterday & was reading conflicting opinions regarding the spark plugs (when to replace, what brand to use, etc). I've never heard of plugs needing to be changed every year or 30K miles, then again, i've never owned a Saab either! Also, I'm defintiely interested in this PVC fix if this is a known weak leak, can you send me info regarding that as well? Your help is greatly appreciated! Here are a couple pics! (taken at the guys house who I bought it from).

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I think Saab and Volvo make the nicest wagons.

the audi allroad is OK, too. but not nearly as sharp as that red Saab you have! 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts