Saab Link Forums banner

JT exhaust/emissions

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Aikmanson 
#1 ·
So I guess I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... Recently I moved to South Portland and I'm in the process of changing my license and registration over. Unfortunately my inspection sticker has run out as well... If my car is registered in South Portland/Cumberland County I can not receive an inspection in York County. The reason I would need to inspect in York County is because thats where my mechanic is. He overlooks the fact that my car has a three inch no cat. exhaust.

Even with a cat will the JT exhaust pass emissions??
If not does anyone have a guy in Cumberland County who would overlook my exhaust??

#7 ·
I've gone to one garage and when he heard my car/looked underneath to check the control arms and brakes and saw the full 3inch no cat. he told me that most places will refuse aftermarket upgrades. that anything that isn't stock will be rejected. maybe its just his own company policy to save his ass.

That and I've never had to deal with emissions before. Do they smog test? Or is that just a Cali thing?

#11 ·
Technically you have to have a cat to pass the visual inspection. They can't refuse you for aftermarket, so long as the stuff is there. The no aftermarket bit was just to be able to refuse ricers with giant fart cannon exhausts. Or at least that was how it was explained to me, since technically VA has the same policy.

#12 ·
I think you need to find a different place to take your car if they are automatically failing it for aftermarket parts. If you really have some free time, that is technically against Maine state law, so you could probably give the guy some trouble if you wanted.

I "know a guy," but I used to take my 9-3 to other random places and never had trouble. Granted it had many less miles on it, but it still was lowered, had a modified exhaust, had window tint, didn't always have a front plate, and one year I passed without a working horn or high beams.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.