Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Joys of wheel alignments....

89 900i finally had it's proper wheel alignment check today. I had a go at adjusting the toe myself last week and when it was checked on the proper gear I wasn't far off - about 2 mm toe-out.

So it's now been adjusted to 2 mm toe-in.

The camber settings for each side were quite different. The left side is about 0.46 degree negative and the right side is about 1.4 degrees positive. I could adjust the LHS if I wanted to but I might leave it as-is for now as the left side is a lot more painful to get to for adjusting the shimming. I wonder if the negative value is a side-effect of the LHS rear-end collision the car had about a year ago... Not really sure.

I got two new tyres for the front wheels at the same time as the alignment.

Craig.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you drive the car daily, I would get the camber dialed in. Esp if you just bought new tires. The camber is wayyy to positive on the right side. The outside of the tire will wear down faster. As with the rightside as well (except it will wear on the inside).

Alignments stink on these cars. How bad was the collision btw?

-tetnis

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you drive the car daily, I would get the camber dialed in. Esp if you just bought new tires. The camber is wayyy to positive on the right side. The outside of the tire will wear down faster. As with the rightside as well (except it will wear on the inside).

Alignments stink on these cars. How bad was the collision btw?

-tetnis
It was a left/rear hit with a car in which the driver wasn't paying attention when I braked for a right turn.

I will get the camber sorted out at some stage. Local tyre outlets have no idea how to adjust shimming to change camber. I might get the car re-checked for alignment soon since I've driven a good 5k km's since the alignment was fixed up. The toe setting is correct now which removes the rapid tyre wear I was getting previously as a result of changing balljoints and fitting a new LHS lower control arm.

Craig.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts