Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this forum after doing research on my newest acquisition...an 86 Saab 900 Turbo w/ 240k on the clock! Completely an impulse buy since I'm usually blubbering on about Volkswagens, but the price was right, it had boost, and had rally/driving lights on top of the bumper :D Plus it made the drive down from Vermont w/ no problems (and kept up with my VW GTI just fine)

Not sure on my plans for it yet, other then using it as my daily driver. Eventually, if the frame is strong enough, I want to turn it into my personal track car...or maybe try my hand at rallying. Can't wait to find out...

First up, though, is making it pass inspection :roll:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Welcome... good to get some more people from VA here!

·
7,595 Posts
Welcome, nice find! the 86 900 turbo is one of the best C-900's you can buy. 1st year of the easily tweakable APC, Bosch LH 2.2 fuel injection, and the great 16 valve turbo engine that is well known for running to 400,000 miles+ (with 1 or 2 headgasket replacements along the way ;) ). my 1978 Saab 99 turbo has over 506,000 miles on it and it still runs strong! Another bonus is that these 16 valve saabs can be set up to easily out run just about any stock model VW ever made :p As for auto crossing it, they can take it and they can be competive, however there are better cars for autoXing out there. the 900 is more at home running on the highway or on WRC type trails than it is in tight quarters on the asphault. They make great road holding packages for the car too. Group 9 (one of our sponsors) has a good deal on springs, may be worth looking in to.

one down side is if you start kicking out serious power with a C-900, the engine will always be able to take it, but the transmission may not... just keep in mine, once you are up around 220 HP, transmission life may be seruously reduced. always keep fresh fluid in it and go easy on the shifts. if you take it too far and it does fail swaping them out is not nearly as hard as some people might make you think.

good luck, hope you post in the C-900 section soon 8)

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Welcome to the site 8)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Welcome - good find it sounds like you got. 86 900's are indeed one of the best ones out there. I bought one myself - but it turned into a parts car for my 89 real quick. :oops: Just look for surface rust now while it can be fixed..... enjoy it and push it hard, just be cool about the shifting :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts