Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero...with automatic transmission. I love it. But, after driving it a couple hundred miles, I'm noticing that on some bumpier roads, little bumps will cause my car to kind of jerk me to one side and then quickly correct itself straight. This doesn't happen on all bumps, and I did not notice it on the nice roads and expressway when I test drove the car...but on the country roads by me it is much more obvious.
Is this by chance something with the shocks or struts or something?
Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,718 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero...with automatic transmission. I love it. But, after driving it a couple hundred miles, I'm noticing that on some bumpier roads, little bumps will cause my car to kind of jerk me to one side and then quickly correct itself straight. This doesn't happen on all bumps, and I did not notice it on the nice roads and expressway when I test drove the car...but on the country roads by me it is much more obvious.
Thank you!
Does the car have aftermarket wheels on it? My 9-5s used to "tram line" down the road sometimes because of the wider and lower offset wheels I had. If not, it's likely a worn bushing(s) causing a change in geometry. Unlikely to be simply bad shocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wandering SAAB

Thank you!
Thank you!
Hi seems unlikely it will actually correct itself(to the old position) however apart from cracked springs and cracked spring retaining plates (issues older cars hardly ever encountered) or front and rear suspension not in alignment. Engine mounts can also change weight and so balance.

I suggest you have your suspension mounting checked. The GMH SAABs were notorious for wear there. I'm not a fan of 'poly' bushes...however if that's the problem the front is dropped and the repairs done. Have that checked and fixed.

There are still the other reasons....tyre wear and cracks, tyres not same brand and matched, rack and pinion loose or worn, suspension itself including shocks not doing their job, loose wheel bearings, crook tyres which includes being too big...too old, wrong tyre pressure fo the road, oval, misaligned, worn. shock/shocks faulty.

You have not said whether the steering while also darts to that side....and is it only to one side?...or both. The logical action would be to have it inspected and I have no idea where you are. If in NSW I'd go to Heasman's shock and sterering in Sydenham...there is none better and they will fix it...or if somewhere else go to an experienced SAAB mechanic....maybe some who races them...and have them check it.

As I said...the suspension on the GMH model needed redoing. I'd use bilstein sports shocks and...has your car been lowered?...it may not have enough rebound. That all said...the car may be acting naturally and you are noticing it more as the glamour wears off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts