Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Picked up the 86 from storage last weekend. We broke up for a while last summer, but now we had a talk and things are looking better.

I stored this car last summer in a rage, after not being able to track down a random charging/no start/battery drain thing.

I still don't know what it is, but I'm going to figure it out if it kills me. The tested the battery tonight, and it's fine, it just needs a charge. This weekend I hope to pull the alternator and get it tested as well.

Here is how it looks now:

List for the summer:
-test/replace alternator DONE
-tweak IC fitment DONE
-replace wheel bearing
-install battery tray from 9000 (started this already) DONE
-touch up radiator support DONE
-clutch (not needed)
-clean grounds DONE
-re-install center console DONE
-boost gauge
-set base boost
-re-fit/re-paint SPG kit/wheels/plasti-dip
-stop the damn louvers from rattling DONE
-satin black the louvers, fix plastic fade
-whaletail
-tweak airdam fit DONE
-adjust front bumper DONE
-paint valve cover
-fix heater controls
-repair washer jets
-wrap downpipe
-tweak exhaust fitment DONE
-attend to small rust spots
-re-paint wiper arms
-dye plastic trim (maybe plastidip)

Hmm, looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Oh, and I'm hoping to drive it here and there as well. Stay tuned to this thread for bitching, and pic-whoring.

:saab

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Welcome back...I remember when you found that car sitting out back of whatever garage that was a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Got a multimeter? They are indispensable when it comes to finding things like battery draining accessories.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
time to pull fuses an put an ammeter see where the current draw is. I know ours had some freaky issues from a bad headlight relay. Let us know what it ends up being.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back...I remember when you found that car sitting out back of whatever garage that was a few years ago.
That was 2005, and it looked like this:

:)

Got a multimeter? They are indispensable when it comes to finding things like battery draining accessories.
I do. I'm going to start with that monkey business when the battery is fully charged, and the grounds are clean.

The dash clock stopped working a while ago, I hope it's not something dumb like that sucking the battery down.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Always loved that car - I still would love to buy it - but alas myself and c900's get along much better when I don't own any... Glad to see she's getting another go around! Electrical problems suck donkey ass - they waste so much time for the dumbest things usually. Good Luck!

·
7,595 Posts
Looks nice, connect an amp meter between the battery terminals and the + cable, then you will see draw, hopefully only a few MV's. Start removing fuses till you see the draw go away. Then you know what's drinking your electricity when you are away, and can replace that component. Should in theory only take a few minutes to diagnose the issue. If you pull all the fuses, but still see draw you could have some sort of alternator issue, you would be able to see that go away on the meter too by disconnecting the power lead to the alternator.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Looks nice, connect an amp meter between the battery terminals and the + cable, then you will see draw, hopefully only a few MV's. Start removing fuses till you see the draw go away. Then you know what's drinking your electricity when you are away, and can replace that component. Should in theory only take a few minutes to diagnose the issue. If you pull all the fuses, but still see draw you could have some sort of alternator issue, you would be able to see that go away on the meter too by disconnecting the power lead to the alternator.
GENIUS. I need to do this on mine

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Tonight, the hood goes up on the roof so I can get up in it's guts easier.

We all know that's not a good sign.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Glad you kept it. Seems like a good decision from here. That blue with all the fixins make for a stealthy-looking c900.

Get at 'er, get 'er fixed!

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

It's only going to get more stealthy pretty soon here. SPG kit is coming off, and it's getting a proper re-paint.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
good luck palmer; this has always been of my top 5 favorite c900's

·
Super Moderator
6,726 Posts
Poooo.

I have had so many opportunities to buy this. Why, oh why?

Lemme know when you move to MA*

1 - 20 of 103 Posts