Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left for work this morning looking to put the top down to enjoy Carolina blue sky and the car would not start. Dead, nothing not even clicking. Not sure how old the battery is but through it would have had some life. Any ideas before I go out a buy a new battery?
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
You may just have a dead battery. That is usually the case when it won't turn over at all. Best bet is to take the battery to have checked. It may be able to be recharged.

Also if you can just have it jumped, if you leave your car on for a while...the battery will recharge. If the battery doesn't hold a charge...then its time to get another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
take a screwdriver and pry off the little covers on top and look in, if there isn't much fluid in there, add water, it works

~justin
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
saabguy said:
take a screwdriver and pry off the little covers on top and look in, if there isn't much fluid in there, add water, it works

~justin
Some batteries come sealed. However if you plan to do this be VERY careful because there's acid in there. It may be best just to have it tested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
saabguy said:
take a screwdriver and pry off the little covers on top and look in, if there isn't much fluid in there, add water, it works

~justin
Some batteries come sealed. However if you plan to do this be VERY careful because there's acid in there. It may be best just to have it tested.
also goto a dollar store and buy one of the acid level testers (looks like a fancy turkey baster with colorfull writting) and use that to see what the acid levels are at as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put it on a charger last night. I got it started and took it for a ride but not for long. I left it on the charger for a few hours and this morning, nothing. Looks like battery is not holding the charge. I'll check the the levels. Thanks guys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Add distilled water if you need to add it. A gallon at the grocery store is probably less than a dollar. If you add tap water, you're putting all kinds of crap in your battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
If you have a Sam's Club or Costco near where you live and you or someone you know has a membership - check out their rack of batteries. I bought a Kirkland Brand one for $40 that is about 675cca - nice battery for the $$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
rcmdesign said:
How do you go about checking for the water level?
THe vast majority of modern automotive batteries are sealed (not really "sealed" but maintenance-free), so there's nothing to check.

If your battery has removable covers over the cells, it's not sealed. Remove the covers and look down inside them - there should be an obvious "fill" line molded into the side.

Most non-maintenance-free batteries are clear or translucent so you can tell at a glance if the water is low.
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Yea Walmart sells some good batteries as well. Everstart series, and for $40 there's a year warranty.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,303 Posts
driver found said:
Most non-maintenance-free batteries are clear or translucent so you can tell at a glance if the water is low.
But then again, there is a small majority of serviceable, non-maintenance-free pre serviciable, self maintaining-free maintenance lacking non maintenance batteries.

Those may have clear or translucent cases, but some have non transparent free cases. In that situation, refir to the non clear translucent maintaining batterys, in the free no maintenance non service warranty section at Napa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
driver found said:
Most non-maintenance-free batteries are clear or translucent so you can tell at a glance if the water is low.
But then again, there is a small majority of serviceable, non-maintenance-free pre serviciable, self maintaining-free maintenance lacking non maintenance batteries.

Those may have clear or translucent cases, but some have non transparent free cases. In that situation, refir to the non clear translucent maintaining batterys, in the free no maintenance non service warranty section at Napa.
If it's a maintenance-free non clear ultra translucent though, be careful with the serviceable self-filled post-intake leveling fluid's pre-replacement temperature.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top