Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, i had my first real issue with the spg today. I started the car up and it immediately died, did it again with the same results. I let it sit for 10 min and it started up no problem. I remembered reading about the AIC causing stalling issues on start up and the car hasn't been idling all that smoothly the past few days so I'm thinking it could be sticking? Unfortunately it gets dark by 430 5 now so i haven't been able to clean it out yet. What else could have caused the stalling? (it wasn't a cold start btw)

The other problem is the passenger side suspension is creaking rather loudly. Over bumps, turning the steering wheel left and right etc. I couldn't find any wd40 or silicone spray but I'm thinking maybe its a bit too rusty and is starting to make some noise so if i lubricate it, hopefully it should go away. If that doesn't fix it then it maybe the passenger strut? I wouldn't expect a failing ball joint to make that type of creaking noise or am i wrong?

TIA

·
10,303 Posts
Try unplugging your maf and see if it runs/starts better.

Replace lower wishbone, those bushings, maybe strut and strut bushings.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The noise is probably a worn lower stock bushing. The power steering tends to leak on that side leading to deteriorating bushings.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Welcome to Bosch LH. If it still runs, it isn't a "real issue" lol. Agreed on a ball joint for your noises. Maybe a temp sensor for the start/stall condition?

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Could be the AIC, but if the problem is with hot starts it is more likely the NTC sensor. Also, when you clean out the AIC, don't lubricate it with WD-40 as most people online recommend - use motor oil. WD-40 is not intended to be a lubricant, and it evaporates.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Could be the AIC, but if the problem is with hot starts it is more likely the NTC sensor. Also, when you clean out the AIC, don't lubricate it with WD-40 as most people online recommend - use motor oil. WD-40 is not intended to be a lubricant, and it evaporates.
I think most prefer WD40 because it cleans out the gunk without eating the plastic like brake cleaner. I'd say ideally, clean it with WD and then lube it before reinstalling.

Also easy one way you can diagnose the AIC is by whacking it with the handle of a screwdriver while the car idles. If you unstick it, idle will change, and there's your problem.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
I sincerely doubt flushing out an AIC with brake or carb cleaner for 30 seconds is going to "eat away" anything in it, and WD-40 isn't going to clean half as well. I was under the impression that most people use carb cleaner than follow with WD-40. I used to do that, but when I switched WD-40 for motor oil the results lasted much, much longer. It works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts