Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my water pump replaced a couple weeks ago and last week I started it and it sounded horrible. Sound was coming from the serp belt area. When the engine warmed up all was fine and it drove fine the whole time. It still makes the sound until warm.

Did my belt just get dried out from the coolant leaking on it?

Here is a vid of the sound

VID00217-20101205-1808.mp4 video by jrodigan5 - Photobucket

(CEL codes are are P0410 and P1132. Unrelated I'm sure.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I listened to it, no idea. It sounds like a combination of a rattle mixed up with 10% exhaust leak. If it goes away totally when warm, it is hard to think it is mechanical. But remember everything is possible! You have the "normal" problems, and now and then you have the weird problems. I had car's where people forgot to tighten a house for the EGR, but I doubt you have an EGR system. I would remove the serpentine belt and start it up cold in the morning and listen, then you are sure if it is belt (water pump) related or not. It for sure did not sound like a dry belt. People here are talking about strings of serpentine belt gets tangled in to the Timing belt area, but you did not have serp. belt failure, did you? Check for forgotten screw's, loose screw's. When the belt is off, rotate all "thing's" that is driven by the belt, and listen to them.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the belt did not fail. It's actually fairly new. Probably 3k miles on it. Same with the timing belt. Could it be a tensioned? And it was just a coincidence that it was around time of the WP replacement when it failed?

Sorry, but what is an EGR?

I'll see if I can get around to taking the belt off to check the pulleys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It could be a tensioner, and it could be a coinsident. If you have the belt of and rotate pully's, alternator, and waterpump, they should be silent, and the "feel" should be smoth. Sometimes if the grease is dry and they been running for many miles, they may rattle a little bit, and still work for many more miles. But I would change them. EGR= exhaust recirculation system, exactly what the letter's stand for, I forgot. You let a little bit of exhaust's go back in the combustion chamber, and it makes the emission cleaner. I'm just working on a V6 like yours today, and it has a puls-air system. It sucks/pushes air in to exhaust runners in the head just after the exhaust valve. Some people say this a "fake" way of creating cleaner emissions, because you are just mixing the exhausts with fresh air. The engineers say that you are creating an "afterburner" effect, when the oxygen in the air hits the flame from the exhausts valve. I belive the engineers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts