Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally after a warm start up...my 2001 aero (bout 119k miles) will "hesitate" almost to the point of stalling when I am accelerating through first, second, and somtimes third. By "hesitate" I mean the car will buck pretty severly and the tach bounces from 0 zero back to the current operating RPMS. This problem is not consistent and sometimes I go days without it occuring but lately it is happening with greater frequency and oddly only after warm startups. The plugs were replaced two days ago with the proper gap but it has done this since the replacement. I am fairly certain there is not a boost leak as even with this intermittant problem the car still pulls very hard through all gears and I did a visual inspection of hoses and clamps and did not see cracks or hear any leaks. Additionally car does not throw a CEL or go into limp home mode after these episodes so I don't think it is a faulty MAF. As a side note fuel pump was recently replaced but I don't see how this could cause something like this? If it is the CPS how hard is it remove and clean or replace if neccessary? I have looked at this link for instructions

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab-crank-sensor-replacement.htm

but i'm somewhat wary of this site because when I followed the instruction of this site to drop my oil pan it took me hours and few posts on here and a nearly cracked oil pan to discover that there are "hidden" bolts on my aero's oil pan. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1st thing I would do is check the resistance of the sensor. Should be about 890ohms. Then I would check the resistance of pins 1&2 on the harness side, and make sure its around 250kohms. Jiggle the harness while your doing it because its intermittent.

Also check your grounds, The ECM needs to be grounded properly, because the ECM supplies the grounds to most of the sensors. Check for corrosion on all of your harness connectors.

I dont know about the 4, but on my v6 I can remove the CPS in about 2 minutes tops, without removing any other brackets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can someone tell me what is the easiest way to access the CPS on my car before I start taking it apart? I pulled the codes and got a p0336 (crankshaft position sensor error) so I ordered a replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts