Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even when you turn your car off. It looks like many people are having problems with there battery going dead, when they are leaving their car idle for more then 7 days.

I bought this for my VW. Its a trinkle charger. I wonder if there has to be power to the outlet for it to work?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I know on the Gen II VW's they did always have power to their Cig lighters - meaning even with no key present. As for the new ones - i'd assume the same, but if they were smart they'd have upgraded. Dunno...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was wondering the same, I miss the fact that i cant even let my cell phone charge in the car for 20 minutes or so while i run into the store, my dub was no prob cig lighter was always hot. Id imagine we could route a different wire to the cig adapter to make it always hot, not sure any ramifications that it would have though?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know there is no continuous power to the 'auxillary' outlet in the armrest, as the car has to be on in order for my phone to charge. My guess is that the cig lighter is the same way. It's all part of a stop smoking campaign I guess.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with no power to the aux outlets when the car is off. Will the charger still give the battery a trickle charge? Or does there always have to be power for it receieve the charge?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to sure about the charger BUT I can tell you that there is no power from the outlet unless you turn the key to ON. Tried to light a ciggie for a friend when the car was off :wink: and nothing happened, with the key turned to ON it was only 10 secs until the little bugger popped out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chris,

With power disengaged from the battery, it's doubful that a trickle charger would be able to do anything except build up heat.

Usually, there's a physical (relay) or logical (transformer) disconnect when the power is removed from the cig lighter.

You may be able to tap into where you have 12V constantly, like the maplight power, and attach your solar cells to the back of a sun visor? Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts