Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel shopping... can't get anything until next summer but when I looked at tirerack's site it was $600 ish for a 22-24 lb 18in rim or $1000-1200 for a 18 lb rim.

I can't decide if it's worth the extra money for the weight saving.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Losing 1 lb of unsprung weight (wheels) is roughly equal to losing 4 lb of sprung weight (body), performance-wise. You will get better acceleration, better city fuel economy and probably corner better too. I say the lighter wheels are worth it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Losing 1 lb of unsprung weight (wheels) is roughly equal to losing 4 lb of sprung weight (body), performance-wise. You will get better acceleration, better city fuel economy and probably corner better too. I say the lighter wheels are worth it.
^That. So, you should be really thinking if 80-100 lb weight saving is worth it.

I say yes, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea..... that's unfortunantly what I was also thinking...... it's worth it

Swapping my OEM brakes for AP's cut a few lbs but I never weighed them to get a exact number.

I will keep my eyes out, maybe I can just find a set of 17's that will work with these brakes & weigh 16 ish lbs.......

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
correct, unsprung rotational is worth alot on a car, espially if you get to drop a tire size too (diameter) it will also reduce drivetrain stress, and help braking,,

it may only be 20lbs, but its the best 20lbs youll ever loose

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Def worth it. As everyone else mentioned.. better acceleration (forward: positive and negative and reverse: positive and negative :D :D :D )... But be sure to get especially light tires too :) those are, after all, at the very outside of the wheel...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
IMO, fuck no.

leave the spare at home, drink less brew and hit the gym. you don't really want the last piece of cake anyway.
This is what happens when you drink PBR and go on TSL before going out.

Like everyone else has said, losing weight in tires is worth it due to rotational weight.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
This is what happens when you drink PBR and go on TSL before going out.
Before..... going..... wha? You leave your computer all by itself??

:D

Also.....

PBR is for hipster-poserbois.

You need to pick up some of the housebrand Trader Joe's lager stuff. Cheaper than Steel Reserve, and tastes a little better.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Before..... going..... wha? You leave your computer all by itself??

:D

Also.....

PBR is for hipster-poserbois.

You need to pick up some of the housebrand Trader Joe's lager stuff. Cheaper than Steel Reserve, and tastes a little better.
Everyone here in Cortland drinks keystone. Honestly, I don't think anyone except my roommate last year and I drank PBR. Back at home, things are different.

·
Registered
645 Posts
octoberfest beers are out and you guys are drinking keystone and pbr.. thats too bad

as for the wheels.. 5 lbs a peice is quite a bit.. what wheels are you considering.. alot of time the more expensive namebrand wheel is mfg. better and will last a while longer than its knockoff counterpart. i.e. less bends/ cracks.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
+1 for PBR

Screw that octoberfest fancy shit - what the hell is a "seasonal" beer anyways - PBR is the same taste everytime every day of the year. no surprises.

Again - I will keep something else like Moosehead available for the "classy" meals.

As for the weight savings... just run 15" OEM wheels with good tires :) They are light
I see more weight savings in keeping tools and other items out of the car and driving like a sane person. Good tires DO help - as does air pressure - but buying lighter wheels also means they may be weaker wheels and damage more easily. So if you want to spend $1000+ on wheels which are just going to be trashed you might as well just toss that money into a blender with some mix and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have 2 sets of 18x8s and at one time same new Kumho MX tires on both. The OZ ultralegerra were 18lbs each! The BBS Ch18s are 28. Cant tell a difference on the road. Only car can tell is on the 2.3i where there is no power. Still less difference than a partial tank of fuel. The BBS are still perfectly straight after twice as many years. The Oz are bent and I am extra careful with them. I know one guy that has been through two sets of the oz.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the super light OZ's on mine... went from very heavy Ronal R41's... Feels completely different now to me..... lost about 9lbs per wheel/tire according to my ultra accurate bathroom scale..... but, I don't think the stock wheels weighed as much as the Ronals for what it's worth....... I may be selling these OZ's if my car sells with the Vikings....

oh and PBR.......they didn't just give that blue ribbon away!! :D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
+1 for PBR

Screw that octoberfest fancy shit - what the hell is a "seasonal" beer anyways - PBR is the same taste everytime every day of the year. no surprises.

Thank you, some support here.

What rims are you looking at exactly? IMO, rims are there to compliment the looks and lines of the car. I feel as though you will still get great results by splurging on an expensive sticky 225 tire.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wheel wise, these are what I found on tire racks site

ASA AR-1 23.1lbs & $160 ea

Enkie ekm3 24.8 $187 ea

OZ alleggetera HLT 18lbs $360ea

I like those..... there are also two TSW wheels I like.

TSW Nogora & Snetterton

I do not know the cost or weight of their rims & I do not know if 18x8 fits

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.