Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or was it me?

Saturday I had the Combi loaded and on my way to my sister's. Of course ten minutes from home I had a blow out and lost air almost instantly. Nice sidewall puncture.

For some reason the 3x I have had a flat in my life I wind up having tons of crap in the car making the spare swap even more of a hassle.

I get everything out. This should be nice a quick.

Hey look, it has those black plastic lug nut covers.

For the life of me, Saab includes NO tool what so ever to remove them. I looked everywhere and I tried different sections of the included tools just in case that was the secret trick. Nope.

Go check for yourself if you have the lug covers and you have a new 9-3.

There was my father's small Leatherman type tool in the glovebox. I begin trying to pry the lug covers off. It is not the ideal tool so all it does is strip little slices of plastic off and the covers don't budge.

After 5 minutes I got 1 off. I called Roadside assistance and they wanted me to wait over an hour.

I said fuck it and worked some more on the covers. 20 minutes later I had all of them off.

About 4 minutes later we were on our way safely home with the spare mounted to switch cars.

The whole job would have been less than 5 minutes if not for the lug covers. Could Saab(GM) really be that stupid?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
theres a little puller thing that should have been with the car when they put them on, but 99% of ppl loose them, kind of like the radio code card on the older cars...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
When they get PDI'd the tech is supposed to leave it either in the glove box or the center console somewhere.... I always left it in the glove box. Given - I would keep a few of them time to time (b/c as a tech you needed that stupid thing all the time). But yeah - it should have been in the car somewhere. Needle nose pliers "work."

And it was GM's idea for those caps... it waas cheaper and easier then replacing the rusty wheel bolts... or designing a wheel bolt of quality material or paint so they wouldn't rust so badly.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theres a little puller thing that should have been with the car when they put them on, but 99% of ppl loose them, kind of like the radio code card on the older cars...
When they get PDI'd the tech is supposed to leave it either in the glove box or the center console somewhere.... I always left it in the glove box. Given - I would keep a few of them time to time (b/c as a tech you needed that stupid thing all the time). But yeah - it should have been in the car somewhere. Needle nose pliers "work."

And it was GM's idea for those caps... it waas cheaper and easier then replacing the rusty wheel bolts... or designing a wheel bolt of quality material or paint so they wouldn't rust so badly.
We have had the car since new and there is no puller in either location.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Liek it was said before, it should have been in the car. Talk to your dealer, we've had to replace the ones we've stolen quite often. We use a needle nose pliers in the shop because most of them are lost or thrown away.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I lost 1 damn plastic lug cover.... so I never put them on my car this summer.

My wife's 06 9-5 has really nice oem lugs. They are 4 years old and NO rust! There kind of like the wobble bolt too. The tapered part can spin on the lug. Need to get a set for the viggen...

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Liek it was said before, it should have been in the car. Talk to your dealer, we've had to replace the ones we've stolen quite often. We use a needle nose pliers in the shop because most of them are lost or thrown away.
Thanks for the info. I am having my Dad take it to the dealer to get the oem Conti replaced. I will have them send us home with the removal tool.

If I had a full size needle nose pliers, it would have been a non issue. But I had one of those foldable mini Leatherman deals. It barely grabbed on, made everything a huge pain in the ass.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So, you're pissed off because you didn't check at some point to make sure that all the tools you would need to change a flat weren't there? I know it sucks not to have the tools that you need, but you have no one to blame other then yourself or the owner of the car for not being prepared.

What if you never used your spare till the car was say 10 years old...and in that time you never checked the tire pressure - I suppose it would be someone else's fault when it was flat?

I know we should be able to "expect" the dealer to provide certain items with our cars when we get it...but ultimately it's up to the owner/driver to make sure that they have everything they need. I had a dealer snag my jack from my Viggen once....luckily I noticed before I needed it (I was checking my spare tire's air pressure) and I replaced it.

This thread ranks right up there with your wife's Sonata and you being 110% positive that the dealer lifted it wrong...only to find out that it was your wife who f'ed up the car by hitting a pothole or something.....

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So, you're pissed off because you didn't check at some point to make sure that all the tools you would need to change a flat weren't there? I know it sucks not to have the tools that you need, but you have no one to blame other then yourself or the owner of the car for not being prepared.

What if you never used your spare till the car was say 10 years old...and in that time you never checked the tire pressure - I suppose it would be someone else's fault when it was flat?

I know we should be able to "expect" the dealer to provide certain items with our cars when we get it...but ultimately it's up to the owner/driver to make sure that they have everything they need. I had a dealer snag my jack from my Viggen once....luckily I noticed before I needed it (I was checking my spare tire's air pressure) and I replaced it.

This thread ranks right up there with your wife's Sonata and you being 110% positive that the dealer lifted it wrong...only to find out that it was your wife who f'ed up the car by hitting a pothole or something.....
Umm yeah.

We bought a brand new car('08 ) with delivery miles on it. It was missing something that in the situation of a flat, was needed.

If it was YOU, you would be pissed off to be on the side of the road on a highway with little pieces of plastic keeping you from changing a flat.

I have never had a Saab with these plastic covers. Why would I think on the day of delivery to search for something that I would not think existed. I think your line of thinking is absurd...you check if the car has it's manuals, it's two keys, no body damage and then you are on your way.

This was not something to be found with the rest of the jacking components and tire, it was something I should have known should be in the glovebox?

You are kind of reaching with connecting this to the Sonata which again, even the dealers themselves-first thought when seeing the damage was their own fault.

Take a chill pill.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hide a few of those plastic caps too and tell them you lost a few and the others were damaged - Warranty will replace them with a new set which comes with the tool! ;)
LOL.

It's a non issue at this point.

At the time though, I was pretty pissed off. You would get a good grip finally and pull only to just take a chunk of plastic off the cover lol.

I hate being on the side of the road/highway like that, it's a fucking kill zone. I had my wife on the other side of the car watching out and then I almost lost my shit when my mother was just standing there right next to me. She said she was old and wanted to be hit first to protect me lol.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I however agree they (GM) was retarded making those caps... imagine having to remove them on EVERY service and having to put them back on. They are a time consuming stupid "band-aid" fix for something so stupid. Sadly - Saab is still using them on new cars and there was a campain to install them on ANY warranty car which is missing them or never had them. Prior to that we were replacing full sets of wheel bolts due to rust (which gets costly). Lots of wasted metal in that campaign.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I painted the tops of my lugs because my car did not come with covers. The paint was silver engine enamel and it has held up to many wheel removals and washings. I just did it as a temp fix with no surface prep work, I think they will be permanent now.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I painted the tops of my lugs because my car did not come with covers. The paint was silver engine enamel and it has held up to many wheel removals and washings. I just did it as a temp fix with no surface prep work, I think they will be permanent now.
I think my Vigs held up fine. Never really thought about it. I think it went through only one winter.

If I saw rust, I would have done the same thing you did and wouldn't have bothered with covers.

I do not know if all new Saabs-like a base 9-3 would have them, this car has the 17" wheel upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I think my Vigs held up fine. Never really thought about it. I think it went through only one winter.

If I saw rust, I would have done the same thing you did and wouldn't have bothered with covers.

I do not know if all new Saabs-like a base 9-3 would have them, this car has the 17" wheel upgrade.
I like the way they look, maybe I'll take a pic. The silver is bright and matches the cleaned up klingons pretty well.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Did you check to see if everything was there at the time of delivery?

I'm guessing you didn't....but let's complain about something not being there possibly 2 years after the fact (I'm not sure when the combi was bought).

Every time I've had a flat...I haven't had to sit on the side of the road...I've always been prepared.

Umm yeah.

We bought a brand new car('08 ) with delivery miles on it. It was missing something that in the situation of a flat, was needed.

If it was YOU, you would be pissed off to be on the side of the road on a highway with little pieces of plastic keeping you from changing a flat.

I have never had a Saab with these plastic covers. Why would I think on the day of delivery to search for something that I would not think existed. I think your line of thinking is absurd...you check if the car has it's manuals, it's two keys, no body damage and then you are on your way.

This was not something to be found with the rest of the jacking components and tire, it was something I should have known should be in the glovebox?

You are kind of reaching with connecting this to the Sonata which again, even the dealers themselves-first thought when seeing the damage was their own fault.

Take a chill pill.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you check to see if everything was there at the time of delivery?

I'm guessing you didn't....but let's complain about something not being there possibly 2 years after the fact (I'm not sure when the combi was bought).

Every time I've had a flat...I haven't had to sit on the side of the road...I've always been prepared.
At time of delivery, as I said-I checked for damage, manuals, and keys.

As I explained before I have never had a Saab with the covers and wouldn't have thought to look for them.

If you listened to others explain, they are included in the glovebox or center console. I would bet that 9x out of 10 someone is not checking at delivery if the plastic cap removal tool is there.

I am glad you are prepared when you have a flat.

So far you have noticed you had the dealer snag your jack and you would never be caught with a flat spare. Great-those are biggies. I think the plastic lug not tool is a pretty minute detail and one you yourself have not had to check for. So I am happy for you.

Me though, I was on the side of the road with a complete jack and tool kit, a good working spare, and pissed off by plastic lugs with no clue there SHOULD have been a tool for it in the glovebox.

You wouldn't have been pissed at all. You would have known the plastic tool should have been in the glovebox on the day of delivery. You would have blamed yourself when you realized it was not there.

You are my hero on this day. Would you like chocolate chip, or are you more of a oatmeal raisin kind of guy? :p

1 - 20 of 77 Posts