Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having problems starting my car lately(i.e. the past 6 months).

I will go turn the key and I will hear a single click, what am guessing to be the start solenoid pushing the ring gear into the flywheel, but it wont turn over.

If I try starting the car many times, it kills the battery/turn over once or twice. I'm assuming there a small short somewhere thats pulling a crap load of current, draining the battery. Though if I have a good charge, and I get a jump start/battery tender It will turn over on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Whats odd is that I took the starter out and hooked it up to the battery tender and it spun right up, sounded like balls, but it worked so I thought the starter was fine. So I cleaned up all the contacts on the starter as well as the wiring to the starter, but I still have the same problem.

Before I go out and get another starter. Does this sound like anything else other then a starter?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I had this on my Typhoon, and it was the trigger wire for the starter. The battery cables were good, as well as all ground points, but where the trigger wire runs, its next to the downpipe, and as it gets hot, resistance goes up. When resistance goes up, the wire doesn't carry enough current to fire the solenoid, and it would click until it cooled off again.

You probably don't have this "heat" issue, but the same thing happens if the trigger wire is corroded, or there is a bad crimp connection somewhere. High resistance means low current, and that means **click click**

EDIT

take a sprig of wire from your battery (+), directly to the trigger wire point on the starter; you should be able to access this fairly well without sparking and arcing all over the place. If the starter turns over with a "hardwired" trigger wire, that points out the problem for sure.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont get the *click click click* Its just a one click.

Either way, I will try jumping the starter wire, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason, the cold eats my batteries. DAMN

I'll get a jump and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, with a dead battery, and my car being about 8 a minute walk uphill.

I'll wait until all the snow is gone.

Dont worry, though I'll report back as soon as I test the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts