Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving normally and when I stepped on the clutch to downshift it went straight to the floor with almost no resistance. When I let off it, the pedal itself stuck about halfway back on the rebound. I am still able to shift but it's engaging straight off the floor, and it's getting harder and harder to downshift without pushing extra hard on the pedal. Am I screwed? Figures I just wasted all my money on a tattoo...
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sounds like you've got some hydraulic issues. Hopefully it's the master, I've seen the return spring inside the master break before and produce similar problems to yours. Try grabbing the clutch pedal by hand and pumping the hell out of it. Bring the pedal all the way up as you pump. Usually if it's a slave problem you'll start getting a better pedal as you pump

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If I had to guess, its either the slave or master cylinder....most likely the slave do to murphey's law.

check for fluid under the clutch pedal...that would prob be the master.

The other thing that happened to me was that the bracket for the clutch master actually broke. You'll have to pull the panel underneath the dash to check that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I have been getting some weird fluid dripping on my (and my passengers') feet from the dash, on my side it was cold, but on the passenger side it's hot. I figured some water was trapped in the aquarium and found its way into the footwells, but could it be clutch fluid?
2. How do you check the clutch fluid level?
3. I'll try pumping it a bunch, as i just made a trip to the grocery store and it's starting to grind gears and is almost impossible to drive.
4. If it's one of the cylinders, how much am I looking at it costing to fix?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The fluid on the passenger side could be heater core. Our '93 had wet carpeting on the PS until I fixed the core. The fluid for the clutch is in the brake reservoir but it's toward the back in the smaller compartment. If it's down at all, the system is leaking somewhere.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the fluid, it is still between the min and max marks, tried pumping the pedal for about 5 mins straight and nothing, saw a little stain on the clutch hose in the footwell that could be a fluid leak, and a stain on the floor. Sooo...master?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you check the hose itself?
As best I could while running late for work, there really didn't seem to be much fluid, just a little stain on the fabric coating. And since the fluid didn't seem that low, I figured there wasn't a significant leak.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like we'll be tearing into it this afternoon. From a little research, the symptoms seem to point more toward master rather than the slave, so that's good. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I just wasted all my money on a tattoo....
ain't that always the way it happens.... :cool:

Generally you'll lose fluid on a bad slave, and I've never seen a slave that failed, in the "clutch depressed" condition. They always* fail in a "shit, pressing the clutch doesn't do anything except cause brake fluid to leak out the bottom of the bellhousing" manner.

Do this....and follow my instructions to the last detail, or else.
1) Locate a spare yellow brake fluid reservoir cap from a 9k or 900.
2) From the parts store, get 1 rubber valve stem for a tire.
3) Drill a hole in the cover of the spare reservoir cap, and install the valve stem.
4) Using a bicycle tire pump, pressurize the reservoir. Not to much; just "enough".
5) Remove the inspection cover from the side of the bellhousing, and loosen the bleeder to bleed out the slave / clutch system.
6) Depress the clutch and see what you've got.

I had a clutch master go where I could bleed it every month, and it was fine, until it finally went tits up, and I've had one just grenade and lose fluid all over instantly. (clutch master is the attachment on the clutch pedal where the braided line hooks to, FYI). Pressurizing the system with the bicycle tire pump will also point out any leaks, if you have them.

*disclaimer; always being the 3 I've had fail, and assumption that its basically impossible for it to fail in a "clutch engaged" manner

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ain't that always the way it happens.... :cool:

Generally you'll lose fluid on a bad slave, and I've never seen a slave that failed, in the "clutch depressed" condition. They always* fail in a "shit, pressing the clutch doesn't do anything except cause brake fluid to leak out the bottom of the bellhousing" manner.

Do this....and follow my instructions to the last detail, or else.
1) Locate a spare yellow brake fluid reservoir cap from a 9k or 900.
2) From the parts store, get 1 rubber valve stem for a tire.
3) Drill a hole in the cover of the spare reservoir cap, and install the valve stem.
4) Using a bicycle tire pump, pressurize the reservoir. Not to much; just "enough".
5) Remove the inspection cover from the side of the bellhousing, and loosen the bleeder to bleed out the slave / clutch system.
6) Depress the clutch and see what you've got.

I had a clutch master go where I could bleed it every month, and it was fine, until it finally went tits up, and I've had one just grenade and lose fluid all over instantly. (clutch master is the attachment on the clutch pedal where the braided line hooks to, FYI). Pressurizing the system with the bicycle tire pump will also point out any leaks, if you have them.

*disclaimer; always being the 3 I've had fail, and assumption that its basically impossible for it to fail in a "clutch engaged" manner
Very handy tip, I'll remember this for next time;-)

Seriks1 was kind enough to come down and pop in a new master and bleed the system for me, so hopefully that's solved it. Just driving around the parking lot it seems perfect again. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.