Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever hear of a Air suspension on a SAAB? I heard there is a company making Air Struts that lowers the car, with better ride quality than lowering springs.

Was wondering if anyone had an opinion or experience with air suspensions.

regards

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
theres an spg that exists with a full air suspension...i remember it being called "kidder's spg" possibly? it was all custom done...but i dunno where it was from...search around for air strut companys...most of em do custom ones i think.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea..., tried finding more on them...and that guy Brian Kidder has a nice SPG...just couldn't find anything for Ng's....

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok lets try something else....

either go to his site or....

·
Registered
298 Posts
or this one...u can really see how low it is

·
7,595 Posts
well I guess if you are into cars that ride like a Lincoln Continental, that would be the car for you :wink:

come on, I kid... air ride is just not my thing because it does nothing for performance except increase weight and mess up the handling dynamics of a car that was not designed for it from the factory. I mean sure it has "bling factor" but I am just not into that. I like going fast and not attracting a lot of attention.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
well i think that depends.....are these air bags or air shocks?....there are a lot of differnt types of air suspensions....

·
7,595 Posts
those are air bags. the set up is sililar to what Lincoln uses on their large cars, springs replaced with airbags and fitted with standard shocks. interesting no doubt, but not something I would want on my car. if your compressor dies, what do you do? walk home because your suspension has failed and your lower cross member is draging on the ground? :lol: owners of Lincoln Mark VII's quickly found that this is exactly what you do :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
so are you saying his set up is from a lincoln? cause the bag systems now adays are being fit to anything and i havnt herd of many compressors failing...
im sure its not the most comfy ride but geezus it looks nice!! i think if its a new system the bag replaces evrything springs and shocks doesnt it?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
DeLorean said:
those are air bags. the set up is sililar to what Lincoln uses on their large cars, springs replaced with airbags and fitted with standard shocks. interesting no doubt, but not something I would want on my car. if your compressor dies, what do you do? walk home because your suspension has failed and your lower cross member is draging on the ground? :lol: owners of Lincoln Mark VII's quickly found that this is exactly what you do :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
We get Lincolns in all the time where I work, and majority of them have shot compressors. We had to decline plenty of them becuase the car was nosed down and dragged on our lifts, or because they were leaning heavily to one side. Some even were so screwed up that ifyou drive them in, and turned them off.. the whole car would be bottomed out by the time we finished on oil change on them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since that picture is the only one that seems to be showing up I'll post some more...and the ride on that car is def NOTHING like a lincoln's ride. It runs truly like a saab...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
apparently 1970's, and 80's technology on Lincolns has biased a few on the subject...
But that SPG..is really hooked up...

I've been studying AirStruts, and the benefits for a couple weeks...especially the precautions, fail-safe methods used to prevent having to walk home, and guarantees not to leak. A lot of lowering spring kits seem to ride hard from my experience.., with a couple of Z cars, and a Camaro. I just wondered if an air suspension would be any different.., as an alternative...

So far I'm finding that most believe that air systems are not as harsh as spring lowered cars. I'm sure aligning the car will be called for, but I like the idea of setting my own ride heights too.

I've seen the SPG site a few times, he just didn't have a lot on the "how" for the suspension...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well that is my car with the air ride on it. It is a custom system, bags, lines, 5 gallon tank, high grade compressor, 1/2 valves. The car has been scaled and weighed at 3085 pounds, it doesn't add any weight, doesn't alter performance, nothing, just cornering slightly. Nothing fails, no problems, if i did have a problem it takes me 45 min to put all the springs in front and rear, one bolt to take the front bags out and the rears just pop out. There is slight body roll in the corners but nothing major. There are a few reasons why i did this, 1) who has a saab on air?, 2) with the springs in i was going through $380 worth of tires in 2 months (serious cornering), 3) couldn't afford any more speeding tickets, 4) and on a more personal note from my best friend passing away we had designed and thought up something like this, so i decided to try it out in memory of him. I have the springs and i use them almost year around except for shows and having a fun time in the city. It doesn't ride like a damn lincoln, it rides like a saab on lowering springs (you can't even tell, unless i slam the friggin thing on the ground)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/saabwitstyle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts