Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a war story but.....

I pulled up next to a Saturn Ion Redline today at a redlight in farily heavy traffic.

For those not familiar with the Ion redline it is a supercharged (either 2.0 or 2.2) Ecotec motor along with some other goodies like bigger brakes, tranny, wheels etc. It also has a oversized spoiler on it. :roll:

I've seen this particular car around before, it's kinda hard to miss with the giant "REDLINE" sticker along the side of the car. I'm pretty sure that it is a dealership test drive car.

We both pulled away from the light in 1st gear evenly, I didn't expect a race. He gunned and pulled ahead it so I followed. We dragged through 2nd gear. When I let off I was ahead by a hood lenght and pulling. He kept going for a second, even though we were approaching traffic pretty quickly. Classic racing

Honestly I would have thought he'd pull on me by at least a little, or at least pull on me off the line nicely. Maybe he can't drive.

·
7,595 Posts
I was playing with one of those on the highway the other day (non S/C model), he just could not keep up. I was not in the saab either....

as far as I know, the power output in the standard Ion is only 140 HP, and about the same torque. the redline models are 205 HP and much more torque. not a slow plastic car to be sure. That was one of the cars I got a black X at the GM proving grounds for putting into a sloppy drift :lol: I was not over impressed with it's cornering, it was supposed to be a vast improvement over the old GM's like the L-body and J-body. I noticed little improvement, except it kept it's outside wheel planted around turns. Well you know…. I guess that in itself though is a semi-major improvement... kept mostly full traction over the entire run. felt a little like a C-900 if it were somehow relieved of it's girth.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I was playing with one of those on the highway the other day (non S/C model)
you couldn't have been playing with a redline ion then, the redline only comes with a s/c, you were probably playing with just the ion

~justin

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The ION Redline is comfortably sitting at 220HP and runs a respectable 14.78 1/4 Mile.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Saturn-ION-Timeslip-4050.html

This will be a hard contender once they start to open the performance market for it. The biggest problem with the ION is the electronic steering control that forces it to be pretty mushy!! Now the car to really be scared of is the sister to the Redline and that is the Cobalt SS which is based on the same platform as the ION redline but got a better package put into it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i don't get it, why are american companies making these crappy looking import knockoffs, not that they're not cars but why?......it's like a role reversal from when americans were making these large displacement cars

THEN
Americans->larger displacement motors
Japan->more gas efficient motors

NOW
Americans->gas efficient motors
Japan->large displacement motors (truck production), less focus on sports cars

·
Registered
352 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
It all comes down to the old subject of market share. The sport compact market is going crazy right now so in typical fashion US auto makers are joining the party fashionably late but still joining to get their share as well.
yes, the sport compact market is going crazy, then why is japan not producing sport compact cars....take nissan for example, they only have the 350z and sentra s-er spec v

toyota only has the celica and the mrs which is a slow sports car

what happened to the days of the supra, 300zx and others....it was in the 80's and through mid 90's when japan was dominating the sport compact car arena, now they aren't even producing small 4 banger motors that put out big hp....i just feel like everything has become a v6 or bigger, 4 bangers are on their way out as well as good gas mileage

i guess americans are #1 and want their big trucks

sorry for the rant

i'm referring to vehicles other than sti and evo which put out big hp on a 4 banger

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saabvos: I know it’s not a compact car but have you seen the new Altima SE-R?

Nissans have always been my favorite Japanese cars.

At least they have the 350Z, it would be allot cooler if it had a RB26DETT
(2.6 twin turbo) in it instead of the 3.5......

I wish they sold the turbo version of the 240sx in the US, that’s a hot little car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
2k193turbo said:
saabvos: I know it's not a compact car but have you seen the new Altima SE-R?

Nissans have always been my favorite Japanese cars.

At least they have the 350Z, it would be allot cooler if it had a RB26DETT
(2.6 twin turbo) in it instead of the 3.5......

I wish they sold the turbo version of the 240sx in the US, that's a hot little car.
me 2, i'm stuck between a 1985-1987 corolla gts, gen 4 supra, or jdm 240sx with a sr20det instead of that crappy ka24 they put in american 240's, and of course a skyline(which you can't buy aside from [url]www.motorex.com [/url]

i like em b/c their rwd (drifting w/o ebrake)

i'm trying to check out the new altima(if my work internet would go to nissan.com) :evil:

yea, the 350 is a neat car but i think it looks a little too much like an audi tt

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I had a 1998 240sx se with some engine mods. It was ok but really needed either to be turboed (KA24DET=Torque Monster) or the SR20DET.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts