Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SPG has started squealing somewhat at random - it will be fine for days, and then all at once for maybe 10-15 minutes it will squeal LOUDLY above 1500rpm.

I've had similar problems before with bad idler pulleys and also with a loose alternator pulley, but the idler is about 500miles old and the alternator pulley is still snugged up tight. Anything I'm missing? Begining to think it might be the PS pump.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Temperature dependent at all? I had an awful squeal from my alternator on cold mornings a few years back.

It's not unheard of for recently purchased idlers to be bad, unfortunately. I replaced one on my turbocoupe, and within a month the replacement was also bad.

Chris

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temperature dependent at all? I had an awful squeal from my alternator on cold mornings a few years back.

It's not unheard of for recently purchased idlers to be bad, unfortunately. I replaced one on my turbocoupe, and within a month the replacement was also bad.

Chris
Usually doesn't start until the car has warmed up a bit, but no real correlation to outside temp, no. Alternator was replaced last August.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check the crank pulley its probably separated from the rubber, happens when the car warms up
Is there a good way to check that in the car?

I replaced that as well when the motor was out, would have been about 12,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New symptoms:

1. Checked the belts - speeding up and slowing down with the RPMs
2. Alternator is rock solid

Was under the hood looking at it this morning - squealing is LOUD. Sounds like a failed bearing to me.

Does not squeal at idle. Does squeal above 1k RPM all the way to redline.
Starts all at once, does it for maybe 15 - 20 minutes and then stops just as suddenly.

Doesn't appear to be the alternator or the idler pulley - would a water pump problem have other symptoms? I noticed this weeked (first time I've used the heater recently) that I don't have good heat in the car at low RPM.

·
Registered
51 Posts
New symptoms:

1. Checked the belts - speeding up and slowing down with the RPMs
2. Alternator is rock solid

Was under the hood looking at it this morning - squealing is LOUD. Sounds like a failed bearing to me.

Does not squeal at idle. Does squeal above 1k RPM all the way to redline.
Starts all at once, does it for maybe 15 - 20 minutes and then stops just as suddenly.

Doesn't appear to be the alternator or the idler pulley - would a water pump problem have other symptoms? I noticed this weeked (first time I've used the heater recently) that I don't have good heat in the car at low RPM.
+ 2. I fear I have the same situation.. My squeeling happens when I first start the car and continues until the idle steadies then goes away. I comdemn the belts only due to the alternator vibrating slightly and the belt squeeling only happens when the car is started up along with noticing I have a lack of heat also. The Bentley diagrams the coolant path in the car and it's quite simple.. Hope it's not the heater valve or the Waterpump..

Cheers,
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts