Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohh boy.

'96 900SE 2.0t 5spd 170k.

First: Intermittent dead battery. It'll start fine, drive an hour, leave it for half an hour... and the battery's dead. Jump it and carry on. We replaced one of the cable ends because it was an ugly corroded mess, but it was dead again this morning. Could be something in the car draining it, but it comes and goes... some days it's fine some it's dead.

Thrown a couple codes...
-P1171. Undefined on my scanner, but IIRC it's a mixture lean code... my 9k had this when it needed an O2 sensor.
-P0605 Engine Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error

Also seems like it's getting prettty bad gas mileage. 5 gallons gone in 90 miles...

Could the ECU be on its way out and causing the other problems? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More on the dead battery.

When trying to start it when the battery is too dead to do so, the cranking will be joined by the sound of the alarm/keyless entry horn until it's running. There is definitely something draining the battery.

When connecting/disconnecting the battery two things happen:
One, that horn goes off very faintly.
Two, there is a relay or something clicking in the drivers seat. Directly above the plugin on the bottom/front of the seat. What's in there?

Pulled the alarm fuse and unplugged the seat, we'll see if it's alive in the morning.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Two, there is a relay or something clicking in the drivers seat. Directly above the plugin on the bottom/front of the seat. What's in there?

Pulled the alarm fuse and unplugged the seat, we'll see if it's alive in the morning.
On what, a 900? Nothing should be in there. I have taken a few seats apart and there are the heated seat coils within the cushion itself (well actually under a film). Other than that your power seat is the only other control in there, niether should be running HOT to the battery all the time. The memory seat function does work with the car off however, maybe somehow that function is stuck "On"? Only thing I could think of in the seat.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Put an Amp meter between the negative terminal of the batter and the cable. See what you have for current draw. If everything is in working order there should be very minimal draw. If it seems high, start pulling fuses until you see it drop.

This will at least help narrow down a parasitic draw.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Allllrighty then.

After pulling the alarm and some other fuse, the battery has not been an issue. Car would crank for a while, stumble to life and stall, then crank forever and come to life.

Threw a used starter at it today, no change. Dumped a splash of gas down the throttle body, starts right up. (Also gave it a much better looking set of plugs, which seemed to help as well). Guess we'll have to start looking at the fuel side of things. Pump appears to have been done ("enlarged" access hole in the floor...) start with the filter I guess.

Right now I'm attempting to change the trans fluid. The check plug appears to be completely stripped, the fill plug is kinda stripped, haven't looked at the drain yet.. but I have a guess.

This car is off to a great start*

Also, anyone have a good clutch cable? :lol:

Edit: The good news is none of the codes have come back, but then I've only put ~250 miles on it....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The fill plug on my "new" trans. stripped, so I had to add fluid through the check hole. That is quite possibly one of the slowest procedures ever.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Hmm... All three of the 5-speeds I had to deal with I was able to open all the plugs.

That doesn sound like much fun FiveIron

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah got all the plugs out of the trans, too. Nothing remarkable on the drain plug, fluid wasn't metallic, etc. So that's good.

Didn't try another battery because this one tested great.

Between the "new" starter and the "new" plugs, all seems to be well. Just needs a clutch cable and this point and it's good to go. Current one won't hold an adjustment, keeps stretching back out to where 3rd, 5th, and reverse all grind...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right... so yesterday I took the ins off the 9k and put it away for the winter, making this my sole means of transportation.

Guess what I just had to jump start? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts