Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a check engine light that comes on for about 2-3 seconds only after going full throttle through 2nd gear, or into third. It never comes on any other time and only stays on for a couple seconds then disappears. It is hard to diagnose the CEL since it goes away so quickly. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen?

The car is a 1992 9kt 100% stock.

Any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just checked for Codes, Nothing came up... So whatever is going on, it is not storing in the ecu.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just changed out the plugs, they looked good still, but changed them anyways. The problem is still there. I am going to try a different DI Cassette and see if that makes a different.

The odd thing about this is that the CEL only comes on when in 2nd gear, I can boost hard in any other gear and it doesn't come on, but in second gear it does?!?!?!?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, the car/ecu is 100% stock. It is definitely the Check engine light, not tcs. (although could tcs be a problem? It has never given me an issue before.)

I just tried it with a different DI and it is still doing the same thing.

It doesn't effect the way the car drives in any way, it is just worriying me.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
What octaine are you running? Possible knock maybe - but I do no know why you would not get that in other gears @ the same RPM/Load.

It could just be the TCS freaking out and making the CEL flash on. I'm really just guessing here... lol I have no Idea.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks for the ideas.

I always run 92 or better octane in it and it doesn't cut boost like if it was knocking.

Maybe this is just a sign that I should finally delete the tcs, lol

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you have bad engine mounts and its pulling on a sensor connector. I have seen that happen before.
Actually, you might be on to something here...

when getting on it in 2nd, the shifter till move a bit under load, but not in the other gears. Now I figured it was just something in the trans. I already replaced all the engine mounts (torque mount and 2 lowers) with solid mounts, but the trans mount is still stock....Maybe a poly trans mount will fix it. hmmm...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the problem went away. Could have just been bad gas?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
What are you checking codes with, just the CEL *blink blink* with ignition keyed on?

The TCS/ETC computer has a memory to store intermittent faiults, but you need to get them read with a Tech2 with the proper software (and you need the funny little SAAB 10-pin diagnostic connector for it) or an ISAT.

The ETS computer will store (I think) 6 codes even after the battery has been disconnected, that might point you in the right direction.

Otherwise, do the above, try fresh fuel, plugs, maybe try a different DI, and see where you get.

Drew

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New plugs and different DI were all tried during that tank of gas to no avail. But within 50 miles of refilling the tank the problem went away.

I do want a Tech2 or ISAT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.