Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on my way home from work yesterday when I pull up next to a fairly new Grand Prix GTP. The guy has is wife (I assume cause of the kid in the back seat with him) so I think nothing of it. Well he floors it at the green light, naturally I wanted to put this guy in his place so I flip my dual stage boost controller and go after him. As I'm catching up I do a 2nd to third upshift and the most god-awful noise comes from under the hood. Sounds like an explosion. I pull off into a parking lot and pop the hood to reveal that my TurboXS BOV has literally "blown off". The metal flange actually ripped off. So I limped over to a local performance shop and as luck would have it the owner was there taking pics of his 300ZX that he is selling. So he re-opened his store and sold me a racing BOV that he had there. Said his buddy with a single turbo supra boostin 20psi was running the same one and had no problems. Sold it to me for $100, and this thing is a tank let me tell ya. Its a TCC Work Type 3. I put the new one on and it wouldn't even open up. The spring is crazy tight. So I put the spring that was in the RFL in the new one and used all the washers from the RFL and it works perfectly now. Flange from this new one fits better also.
Now, I'm not gonna blame TurboXS necessarily for this little mishap, as it could have been my fault . . . but it still pisses me off. I know a lot of ppl running the RFL and they have had no problems. Oh well, I guess I was itching for a different sound anyways, just didn't want to have to pay $100 for it. Here are some pics of the damage and the new one.

Kyle

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Ahh okay, from your pics I see that just the adapter broke off...not the actual BOV.

The BOV is still good, the adapter just needs to be replaced. Thats still kinda wierd tho. How does the new one sound?

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new one isn't quite as loud, which kinda sucks, but the sound is still pretty cool. Its closer to the HKS sound now than the big whoosh that the RFL gives. I don't really care too much, just as long as things stay together. I was gonna call TurboXS but since it was the flange that malfuctioned I doubt they will do anything about it. The BOV is still good, but someone is gonna have to have a huge turbo boosting around 20 to get that spring to move.

Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
BOV

Wanted to let you know I saw the PICs.

New one looks like a Sherman Tank (Both the BOV Assembly and the Spring) but with a smaller "Trumpet" I'll bet it's quieter then the old one.

Good Pics from a FUJI!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts