Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Part of a CL ad for a guy selling off his massive collection of cars, mostly MGs...

1965 SAAB PICK UP SPECIAL BUILT 15 MADE V-4 MOTOR RUNS $6000
Didn't the V4 first show up in '67?

So, $6000, eh? 15 made? By whom? Anyway, this thing had better be mint. So I emailed asking for pics. This is what I got back...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That's very cool. I'm not sure it's $6K cool, but it's cool.

Looks like this one...

Or this one...

Or this one...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've actually driven by that guy's place, he's up in the hills above the Temecula valley, by Pechanga, looks like a hillbilly haven. Rotted out Jensen Healey sitting out front, cars packed front to back. Some cool stuff in there for sure, but nowhere near $6k for the condition most of that stuff looks in, he's probably been sitting on it forever and thinks some yahoo from the interweb will swoop in and make him rich.

That ad has been listed on and off for a good 2 months or so I think, I never got around to trying to get him to send me photos - looks neat though, would be a really fun parts getter / runaround car, the V4 is freakin' bulletproof for the kinds of weather we have in SoCal. Walter's hippy paintjob 95 always freakin starts, and it's got about every problem you could possibly have with a V4. Thing sounds like it's all full of marbles, but I routinely take it out on errands - and I am not nice to it, and it just comes back for more. Reminds me of my fiancee.... 8)

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, Drew.

Yeah the guy sent me the addy -- it's an Ortega Hwy, Lake Elsinore address. Probably wouldn't take me more than 40 minutes to get there, seeing I live 3 minutes south of Ortega on the 5. That's a fun drive, as long as you don't get stuck behind a big truck.

That's also where we lost Xassh, isn't it? RIP Nick.

There's a decent looking 96 V4 in LA on Saabnet that piqued my interest, but god knows I have no business picking up a car like that. If I really wanted to clean out my dad's garage, I could probably find the space... Did you guys do the work on that LA 96? Any info about the "new engine" or rebuilt trans? I figure either you or Bud Clark had to do the work, right?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That wasn't us, must have been Bud. That looks clean. You need to drive one before you think about picking one up though, I think I'm over my V4 phase, I bought and sold the pair of Sonnets pretty quick and got it out of my system. I feel like a traitor, but I really like my 9-5.... 8(

I though Nick's accident was up on Mulholland for some reason, but Ortega can be pretty hairy too, gorgeous road though. Last time I went through the town there were 4 CHP cruisers parked off the side of the road. Aaron and I were flagging the motorcyclists we were passing to kick it down a couple on the way back out.

You can take the wagon for a spin when you come by in a few weeks, last I drove it there were no rear brakes though - middle pedal was pretty squishy. Alignment is off bad enough that it scrubs speed pretty quick, but still... takes a nice somethin-somethin between the legs to drive that thing in anger....

Drew

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, it'd be 100% for the foolish novelty of it all. Passing fancy, nothing more. I can't afford/don't need a 3rd car anyway, and if I did, I'd much rather have a clean SPG or a 99 notch. But really, the vert is my focus. Besides, I really prefer the bullnoses anyway. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts