Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Is there a reason you're bagging the OEM unit? They are MORE than sufficient for the power 99% of us put down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats true but these cheap chinese coolers and piping are pretty crap they always blow the pipes and fittings off under high boost. Plus I've seen plenty of these coolers that leak. Like how good can it be for $160 for full the whole kit a decent set of stainless steel hose clamps when these start blowing off will be about $60.

9000's are cheap as chips now for parts just go to the wreckers and buy another one if it cracks.
I wouldn't go over 2.5" pipes. With a bigger cooler and 3" pipes you'll just be creating turbo lag on the stock TD04 if you're planning on upgrading the turbo down the track though then by all means go for it but just be aware you get what you pay for if you want big power down the track you will be upgrading again.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thats true but these cheap chinese coolers and piping are pretty crap they always blow the pipes and fittings off under high boost. Plus I've seen plenty of these coolers that leak. Like how good can it be for $160 for full the whole kit a decent set of stainless steel hose clamps when these start blowing off will be about $60.

9000's are cheap as chips now for parts just go to the wreckers and buy another one if it cracks.
I wouldn't go over 2.5" pipes. With a bigger cooler and 3" pipes you'll just be creating turbo lag on the stock TD04 if you're planning on upgrading the turbo down the track though then by all means go for it but just be aware you get what you pay for if you want big power down the track you will be upgrading again.
I see nothing wrong with buying one of these kits. I have seen many people run them for years with high boost with no issues whatsoever. I will eventually be upgrading mine with such a kit. Blowing pipes and fittings has nothing to do with the quality of the kit, it means they weren't fitted properly. You need to roll a bead on the ends of the pipes so the couplers have something to grab against. I agree with sticking with the 2.5" pipes though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts