Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the flange that the intake pipe uses has a specific name? I know it uses a clamp and an o-ring seal, but don't know if it has a specific name. I'm thinking if I can find the flange, I could make my own intake pipe instead of spending money on a cobra pipe or the GS variant.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
More or less a v-band type flange.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Where it bolts to the turbo?

That's just two bolts, no v-band...at least that's what it was on the T25.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
T25 intake mounting IS different from the GT17/TD04

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any idea what kind of metal the intake pipe is? Maybe it would be easier to take a stock one, cut it to keep the flange, and work from there...

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I believe its aluminum.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Cobra pipe and GS variant won't fit your car anyway. The stock piece is likely more then adequate for the power the GT25 is capable of producing. Spend your time/money elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Do you drive the Viggen in your avatar? In that case you DO NOT have a T25, and the "cobra" pipe would work.

As you mentioned, an easy solution is to use a stock piece and modify it as you need. What exactly are your needs?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Viggen so I have a td04. This isn't something I can do right away since I'm in school, but I figured this and an intercooler would be my next step. The stock intake pipe is restrictive and I'm looking for a cheaper method to upgrade it. I figure, I should do whatever I can to make power with the least amount of 'above stock' psi being requested. The next step would be working with timing and fueling maps.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How do you figure that the stock intake pipe is too restrictive? If you're on the stock turbo I can't imagine there is much to be gained from re-doing that intake. I would just stick with the IC and look to spend the other $$ elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you figure that the stock intake pipe is too restrictive? If you're on the stock turbo I can't imagine there is much to be gained from re-doing that intake. I would just stick with the IC and look to spend the other $$ elsewhere.
Search and you'll see what others have to say about it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Short story: The restriction makes it harder for air to get to the turbo in the first place. It also makes the turbo hotter by making it work harder to get the air.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Interesting. For the price, I would take that image to a fabrication shop and have one made locally instead though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my turbo off the car and took measurements for lathe work. To install the king cobra... This is turbo side of the flange, but should help making "male" flange to fit inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there's stainless 3" adapter available from speedparts for custom intake pipe construction.
This is the kind of part I've been looking for...but I feel like they gave you too much pipe. It doesn't go into that bend right away which means you'd have to cut off half the metal. Do you know if any companies in the U.S. make one so I don't get boned on shipping? I had the same idea as you stromer. Does anyone know the specs on the threaded pcv port?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pics yahhi!

The only question I have left is the oring. The stock pipe uses a rubber o-ring inside. Vibrant seems to use a thinner o-ring but it probably won't correspond with the turbo's compressor housing. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts