Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For B204L (2.0L T5 Turbo) alternatives:

Stock Airbox Snorkel Mod

Use stock airbox (and upgrade panel filter to K&N) but replace intake snorkel with funnel or large tubing. Panel filter inferior to cone.

Abbott Performance Induction Kit

ITG cone filter and intake tube. Air sucked from inside engine compartment.

Blaque Out's Intake Kit

?? Cone filter and intake tube. Replaces stock snorkel. Smoother intake path, but sucks air from inside engine compartment.

BSR Optiflow

JR Cone filter with plastic 'fence' to block hot engine air. Poor sealing and reliance on 'cold' air to go through maze behind headlight is not a true CAI.

Speedparts Intake

Similar to BSR part except cheaper and plastic fence replaced with metal.

Cone on turbo

Probably the best solution to eliminate restrictions, but takes air from hot tarmac and around exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Don't forget about my SaabNation Cold Air Intake. The filter goes into the bumper and behind the fog light and recieves air from outside of car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i got a BSR optiflow on my car. its a t7 though so i have a mass airflow sensor :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trexturk said:
Don't forget about my SaabNation Cold Air Intake. The filter goes into the bumper and behind the fog light and recieves air from outside of car.
Where can I get one?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
(YAY 400th Post! :lol: :p )

Anyway - it seems that that one page doc showed me as much as i already knew.... :( is it missing more info? Seems lacking if going by the pics. Thanks tho.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thanks for making this thread, it should really help out alot of people thinking about intakes.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Rememeber though, that the air coming from the turbo reaches temperatures between 2-300 degrees F! So, by moving your intake to gain perhaps 10 degrees cooler air is quite indifferent to the gain from a more efficient intercooler!

If one is to make a great difference in intake temperature, water/alcohol injection is a much greater gain, although harder to implement.
This also reduces the risk of knock.

This is to be put in relation to the risk of getting unpleasant things into your engine. Putting a free-flow filter so far down as the fog-light is really dangerous and going through some water while boosting could fill your engine with water and thereby completley destroying it!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
murphwiz said:
Can't see this one working to well.......

Big lump of sh1t on the end of it :lol:
:lol:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
on the saab nation intake it says only for T-5.... but there is no reason it could not go on my t-7 car is there?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yeah.... couldent i still put that on there?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
You may have to cut some piping to make room for the MAF, but as soon as this guy makes it down to Iowa, I'll be making him one...so i can tell you exactly what you need.

Also. For those of you who are scared about sucking water in your intake, a way to get rid of that threat is to attach what's called a "Air Bypass Valve". No its not the BOV or BPV that you are normally used to...this one goes on your intake. Check it out: It basically allows for any water that may make its way up your intake to be absorbed or leak out by this bypass valve.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blaque_Out said:
You may have to cut some piping to make room for the MAF, but as soon as this guy makes it down to Iowa, I'll be making him one...so i can tell you exactly what you need.

Also. For those of you who are scared about sucking water in your intake, a way to get rid of that threat is to attach what's called a "Air Bypass Valve". No its not the BOV or BPV that you are normally used to...this one goes on your intake. Check it out: It basically allows for any water that may make its way up your intake to be absorbed or leak out by this bypass valve.
The bypass valve is not recommended for turbo engines. When on boost, a vacuum is created in the intake.

The bypass valve works by detecting a vacuum in the intake tract, either due to blockage or water and opens to allow unfiltered air in. The intake vacuum present in boosted cars will cause it to open when on boost, bypassing the filter and letting all the icky guck in your engine compartment into your engine.

From AEM's website: http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=21&tid=3

AEM does not recommend the use of the bypass valve on engines equipped with forced induction (turbo or superchargers). Additionally, using nitrous oxide in a placement before the bypass valve is dangerous due to fuel contamination of the foam spring/filter as well as degradation of the integrity of the plastic due to the extremely cold temperature of the nitrous oxide. Nitrous can be used downstream of the bypass valve.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Well okay....scratch that idea lol.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts