Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as performance what is better for HP and torque? the cone clearly pulls hot air but is it so free flowing it makes up for the heat?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
if u dothe 3 inch airbox mod and put in a different filter i doubt it woud flow much different but it would pull colder air.... as far as horsepower i think they are about the same

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but what is better.... little worse air flow or faster flow and hot air.... anyone ever dyno their car with 3 inch box VS cone?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I am trying to decide right now whether to get a BSR optiflow kit or just drop in a K&n or JR into the airbox and do the 3" mod....

any dyno data anyone has comparing the two would be great. i have heard people agrue for and against each option, but no clear consensus as to which is better...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've had both a K&N w/airbox and the BSR cone intake on my car. The cone definetly sounds better, it has a throatier growl and the turbo spool is much louder. I don't think it's a huge increase in power over the airbox, but seems like the turbo spools faster with the cone. Especially with the SMBC.

The cone probably sucks in some hot engine air, but the heat shield is designed to bring in fresh air from the hole that the stock airbox snorkel comes through.
You do have to go through and remove the stock airbox resonator piping or it blocks the fresh air from getting in.

My gut feeling is that the cone is superior, but without a Dyno test it's hard to say.
All the extra noise sounds great, but it could be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
352 Posts
just outta curiosity....when you say cone filter, you mean you just put a cone filter in place on the stock airbox, the cone filter is still in the same location as the stock airbox?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using the same thing but Ive heard some peoploe say they lost 30HP by using this filter over a drop in. (due to engine heat)
just need someone to dyno this stuff

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have one on my Viggen. We definitely did not loose any power. I also monitored the intake temp on my daily drive. It was not any higher... The same did not apply to the intercooler to throttle pipe made of metal though.. Saw a bit of heat soak there.

On a turbo the intake temp is a an issue just not huge since after it is compressed the temperature rise is quite great. Flow is the greatest concern on the turbo intake side. Intercooler efficiency is the biggest issue.

Nick T

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats exactly what I was thinking... oh well ill get a dyno done and see whats up. unless you already have one?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
2k193, what does the resonator box do? By removing it, will it open a path to let in all sorts of debris into the engine bay?

do you have any pics of it? removed or installed, either would be helpful. gracias. :wink:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
dude if u look down behind the bumper there is a resonator there and its huge just remove it and u get better colder air in

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are looking for better flow and nice sound, get the cone. Also lets you hear the Recirc valve better for the racer boy bov sound! As Nick said , in a turbo car, flow to the turbo is of optimum concern. The second that air gets near the 100+f compressor, that get compressed(which will heat air in and of itself) any gains from a CAI are lost. A larger FMIC with more surface area and larger IC piping would help much more than any CAI would.

·
Registered
616 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
2k193, what does the resonator box do? By removing it, will it open a path to let in all sorts of debris into the engine bay?

do you have any pics of it? removed or installed, either would be helpful. gracias. :wink:
Unfortunately I don't have pics..... But.........

If you jack up your car or put it on ramps and get under the car on the passenger side.

look up behind the foglight there is a black box about the size of an ice cream container, thats the resonator box.

there is one large (4'?) rubber hose that leads to the inlet on the airbox
there is another large rubber hose that leads from the resonator box up to the fender

Take it out, you'll hear the difference right away!

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how the hell does that work? im sooo confused.

·
Registered
745 Posts
:idea: time for enlightenment ohh grasshopper...

works the same way the cones do with a aluminum sheild panel, only doesn't suck air from all directions, and .....well the hell with the technicals.., I just like the way it looks, sounds and feels...

the cold air still makes its way in from that snorkel hole above the foglight but the filter is a foam type, recleanable like the K&N style filters. This one's used for a lot of road rallys supposedly... oh yea., and I like it..

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I still dont get it... just looks like tube to me.... how would that be any better than just taking the intake off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts