Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Installing the Viggen antenna is very easy. I completed it in about 20 minutes after continuously eyeing it to make sure of proper alignment.

First start off by centering the spot where you plan to drill (Yes drilling is required). This spot should be perfectly aligned with the rear window cleaner nozzle, and approximately where your backseat dome light is located.

I began by standing at the side of the car with a straight edge, and eyeballing the center of the rear dome light through the window. I then took a pencil and lightly marked the location above the window (A light pencil mark shows up well on a light colored paint, and can be erased with your finger).

Using a longer straight edge, I marked another line towards the center of the roof...aligned with your previous mark.

After your first mark, use your straight edge to make a perpendicular mark that is aligned with the center of the washer nozzle.

Stand at the front of the car to verify that your straight edge is centered. This makes a perfect pencil crosshair that is centered, and can be erased easily without any paint damage.

Second: Begin drilling. Use a drill bit slightly smaller than the rubber grommet supplied with your antenna. By making the hole slightly smaller, a water-tight seal can be made, which will prevent any rusting or leakage.

Your hole should line up in the same location your rear dome light is located.

Third: Run the wiring. Remove the panel shown below, as well as the headliner retainer clip on the driver side of the car.. left of the rear dome light.

Next run the flat round end of wiring to the dome light location, and the other end to a hole leading to the space behind the trunk light( directly behind the area shown below).

To remove the trunk lining to access the old antenna, remove the three screws shown below around the speaker, as well as the retaining scew by the trunk opening.

Once the lining is removed, remove the old antenna wire, and plug in the new.

Fourth: Bolt down the antenna. After inserting the grommet and antenna base into the hole you've drilled, remove your rear dome light. You should see the screw from the base.

The flat section of wire goes on the screw (with the teeth pointing up), and screw the supplied nut hand tight.

Check that the antenna base hasn't rotated and is still centered, and completely tighten the nut.

Finally: Your'e Finished. Pull the wiring semi tight and reattach the panel, and dome light, and enjoy. 8)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
wow, very good detailed instructions and pictures, looks good too!

any chance on a group buy of the antennas?

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Group buy isn't needed. They're like $12 from Taliaferro.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
lol, group buy group buy, get them down to ten shipped, hahaha

i didn't know they were only 12 bucks, but how is the reception compaired to the old one??

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reception is waaaay better than my stock one. I think its because its located higher up on the car. I can get almost any station lol :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow Blaque_Out

Where did you go. Now Your here I hav'nt seen your name since the days of red intake pipes on SC?
So I thougt i'd join this little Saab neighbourhood.

Nice install was it really that easy? I like the line of 'yes drilling is required' haha
So is that a genuine Viggen aerial? I wonder what I would be charged for that in rip off Britain.

Good to see you are around anyway.

I shall get a price on that tomorrow

Dead

·
10,303 Posts
Dead, Blaque_Out was banned twice I think from SC :?

After the banning, he decided to start this site. Its like the land of missfit saabowners.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tweek's Turbos said:
Dead, Blaque_Out was banned twice I think from SC :?

After the banning, he decided to start this site. Its like the land of missfit saabowners.
Exactly 8) I try to live by that old Saab slogan "Find your own road." Its good to see you on TSL Dead C. I hope you stick around.

This is a genuine Viggen Antenna (from Speedparts actually) and was pretty simple to install...I was actually suprised by its simplicity...not to mention its price.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have an aftermarket headunit that didn't activate the antenna, So i didn't have to worry about that.

However Im sure to accomplish this you'd just have to disconnect the power the retractable antenna, or remove it altogether.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is it base loaded or amplified at all? It doesn't look like it but it's hard to tell.

I wonder how a 9-3 would look with one of those tiny base-loaded stub antennas?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rcmdesign said:
Yeah you can remove the power cord to the stock antenna, so it won't go up anymore. I just removed the whole thing,and plugged the hole with a plug from my dealership for $22.
Do you have any pics with the $22 plug? Im still debating whether or not to use it.

·
User
9,193 Posts
Would this "dome light" mounting theory work in a c900? I was planning on buying one of these antennas for my car, but the mounting has been confusing. I have to remove the headliner and redo it anyways, but is there an easier way of mounting without removal of the headliner in a c900?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
personally Zing - doesn't your 900 have enough holes in it already.... and adding another prone to leaks is something I'm not about to do. yes it can look nice - but then you're left with 2 holes over 1. I don't think it's worth it on a c900 - just stick with the factory power man - and they do break - but don't buy an OEM one if and when it does - for $40 you can get a Hirschman which will out live any OEM one.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Just reviving this thread to say thanks.

I followed the directions and the end result was schweet....

Took all of an hour to install, with maybe another couple of minutes to paint the plug and pop it in the hole.

This is definitely the way to go if you want to get rid of the power antenna, which eventually causes headaches when it won't retract and the motor burns out..... I like it so much, I'm going to do it to my wife's car too.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I did it on both of our daily drivers! I didn't see this sticky, but its damn good info now in hindsight :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
i like that.

think this would work with some of the newer style little antenas on older cars?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts