Saab Link Forums banner

Installing an aftermarket head unit in 2000 9-3

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremy R. 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Totally new to this whole forum thing so bear with me... Anyway I am in the process of installing an aftermarket stereo system in my 2000 9-3 2.0T with standard transmission. The install is going quite well and I am just about ready to button up the panels I removed in the process etc, but I ran into a problem. I am installing a Kenwood DNX-570HD head unit and I found several tutorials on the web on how to install it and get it all hooked up. The head unit has an input for a back-up cam which i purchased and ran all the wires for and such... Here's the problem: I want to hook the camera up to a switch so that it will turn on when I shift into reverse AND when I flip the switch regardless of what gear I'm in. To do this I need to know where the wire that gives the reverse lights power is located up front (as in inside the dash). There has to be some wire in that huge cluster that has power when I shift into reverse, right? I would just run a wire to the reverse light itself and tap in there, but there is no way to physically fit another wire in the conduit that the wires go through from the trunk to the trunk lid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
There is no switch on the gearshift in these cars. The wire that powers the backup lights runs underneath the driver's side doorsill. In the NG900, it's a completely white wire, and the only one in the bundle that's that color. I'd assume that the 9-3 uses a white wire, too. I couldn't ever find it in the dashboard, so I tapped into it under the sill and ran a wire through the dashboard. I needed one for my auto-dimming mirror. It shuts off the dimming function when you put the car in reverse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.