Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a fine line between insanity and genious. This is the thing that is troubling me when it comes to what route to go with my 900 turbo. Am I insane, or a genious?

The situation here is the more I look through my first Saab, the more rust I find and I am starting to wonder if I should just drive this, enjoy it, and maybe find another car to make a project out of.

Basically to fix all the rust I am going to have to replace both doors, the hood, and the rear hatch and probably one fender. I see some rust underneith it as well so I am wondering if it's worth it to fix it all.

So, I was trying to think of what I could do to this thing to mod it if I decide not to fix the rust. I thought why don't I go Hoodride!?!?!?!

The problem is this: Is hoodride played out? I saw tons of people doing this to every car out there a year or two ago. The air-cooled VW guys are always gonna do it, but is this something I should do to my c900????

If you are reading this and wondering that the hell I'm talking about please read this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoodride

Basically I would leave the body alone with old paint and rust, the missing/faded trim would stay. I would lower the hell out of it, possibly with air ride, and enjoy.

Any thoughts? Am I insane?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I would agree with not fixing the rust on that c900 you have there. Champ's c900 would have been a good candidate for more of what you really wanted to as far as fixing one up nice...but yours is a "soft" car. Not a ton of rot-through, just a whole lot of small-ish rust spots spread all over.

You could do the whole hood-ride thing, might be fun, might just look like a rotten c900 :)

There are elements to most nice hood-rides that take a lot of work, most I have seen are very clean mechanically, and structurally sound...both should be fine for that car, just clean it up under the hood. From there you could do some patchwork to any rust holes (bottom of the door for example) that would just solidify thing, then just leave it ugly. Then usually a nice interior and nice wheels. And yeah, needs to be low :lol:

Personally, I'm not sure how much work it would take to pull it off and have it not just look like a rotten c900. I wish I was good with computer art, it might be neat to see what it would look like all mocked up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll mock it up tonight.

This thing is VERY solid under the hood and mechanically sound. There is no serious rust problems except for the bottoms of the doors and hatch. I am finding clean body parts very difficult to find.

You are right though, this thing has spots of rust EVERYWHERE and it makes me wonder if I should fix it or not. I originally bought this thing for a daily driver, but now I like it and want to mod it.

If I did the hoodride I would deffinately freshen it up under the hood, slap on some cool wheels, clean up the interior, and slam it. It came with a roof rack, so I would have to run that as well.... lol

I'm going to play with photoshop and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

From the 60th Anniversary Saab Festival in Sweden 2007
That car looks a little too much like it's just a pile. It is a similar look though.

On a hoodride car, you are going for the same kind of look, but you need to do it strategicly so when you actually take a look through the car, under the hood, and inside it, you can tell it's kind of on purpose.

Plus to be hoodride, that car needs to be low.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I saw an older Honda yesterday that would fit this bill. Before I read this thread, I'd have thought it was just a POS.

I was driving home from work yesterday and a slammed Honda with no rear bumper skin and one headlight missing came up in the third lane. It had some hot looking wheels on it, but the body was definitely hood. It was showing signs of rust, but wasn't all body-cladded up like most of the Honda shit boxes I'm used to seeing. I definitely think they were working on a look. It certainly wasn't lacking in the performance department. I had may phone out, trying to snap a pic as I caught up in the center lane, and then whoosh--gone. I never got a pic. Traffic was too heavy for me to get back in position, then my exit came up.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
it really is a pretty cool look if you can pull it off without it just looking like crap. would be worth a shot, good luck!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I am going through with this project.

I have a roof rack that I am going to add wood slatting too.

I have a silver c900 with black doors and a black hood.

I got my hands on an extra set of springs that I am going to cut so I can slam this thing.

And I have Pedo Bear stickers.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Hold on...there is a thread around here somewhere about that. I'll find it and report back with photos.

edit:

BANG!

http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36893

...because I'm low to the earth.

People's feelings get hurt when they figure out what I'm worth

I got eighty fours poking out at the club I'm showing out

I'm a player ain't no doubt hoes want to know what I'm bout"

-Paul Wall,
Our Lord and Savior.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
God I love her...

And it looks to me like 1 coil is the place to start? Not sure which is front and which is rear in that photo, but one was cut 2 coils, the other looks like roughly 1.2 coils.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Do you know if he cut the 2 coils out of the back or the front? Were those SPG springs or stock turbo springs?
I think it ended up being 2 coils front & back. They were stock turbo springs.

I'm want to go lower than that car. I don't know if I have the balls though.

If it rides like crap, I'll just put the OE springs back in it.
It's not about having balls, it's about having a decent suspension setup. With a decent set of shocks like Koni adjustables, you'd have less of a problem. Steve had stock old 900 shocks on there and they simply couldn't keep up.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts