Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
wow thats a good find cheap to but a little ...but a litlle too blue....might not match the interior that well....oh change the interior lights.....hmm...

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
i saw a car at carlisle with those gauges, or rather the older style single color ones, they looked really really nice, and for the price that they offer them at, looks like a good deal to me. oh and you can make them the correct color, they have a switch that changes em from blue to green.

Paul

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
drewz airflow se said:
anyone know about inglo gauges for a C900 i have a few questions if some one has info

http://www.streetracerparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=662

i have invert questions
I am fitting a set of these to my 1982/83 900S at the moment and have used an excellent website for reference which I discovered at:

http://www.pajjakid.com/ubipa/indiglo install.htm

This site also has a link to another excellent site covering dash disassembly which would have been nice to know about the first few times I took my car's dash apart:

http://www.twinsaabs.com/diydash/instrument_cluster.html

I've worked out a way to do a neat job of running the wiring for the gauge faces out to the left hand side of the gauge cluster (remember I'm in Australia - right-hand drive cars here!), and I used the spare screw mounting hole in the rear of the VDO speedo casing (I think it's where a speed signal sensor goes in some cars?) to secure the cables with a plastic cable holding device (exact name escapes me) and I've bound the wires with plenty of small cable ties.

What I'm having problems with is the wiring. I have recently fitted foglights to the car and first I wired the inverter power wires to the power wires leading to the light in the foglight switch. This powers the inverter whenever the headlights are turned on (headlight switch in the right-hand position). I want the gauges to light any time the ignition switch is not in the off position (ie. whenever it's in 'accessory', 'run' or 'start'). So I tried connecting 'jumper' wires from the red and black wires going into the headlight switch assembly but this has got the indiglo gauge inverter running all the time however it has also made the headlights come on all the time! I measured +12 volts on across the two central terminals on the headlight switch connections with the ignition switch not in 'off' so that must be the right idea. Clearly what I've assumed to be a simple +12 v and ground pair isn't. :cool:

The site dealing with indiglo installation talks about a green wire in the headlight switch loom but there isn't one in mine. There is a red and green wire though. I'm going to pull out my Bentley book and try to work out what's wrong as I've clearly made the wrong assumption about how the headlight switch wiring is set up. :cool: I might pull off the scotchlock connectors joining to the foglight switch light wires and see if that solves the puzzle once I submit this.

Regards,

Craig.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
drewz airflow se said:
JUST TO TELL YOU GUYS I GOT THE LAST SET THEY WILL MAKE OF TURBO INDIGLO GAUGES they are no longer produced
That's a pity. I'm glad I got the set I have then (sourced from a different place that used to sell them on Ebay until about a year ago). Here is a picture which shows the indiglo faces in my C900 when I was in the middle of working on some other things in the car (hence my Luisi steering wheel not being fully assembled, etc.):

[ Apologies for the image size - it's 1600 x 1200 direct from the image gallery at my personal C900 site. :cool:

Note that there were two main hassles...

One was getting the right speedo since the default one for Australian C900's had the wrong face layout and I eventually found a speedo with the right layout (correct position of the stop pin for the needle), and a close match to the right ratio (W0,6175 as opposed to W0,64 which is the standard ratio for metric speed/distance counting VDO speedos to suit C900's).

I have a new W1,008 speedo which would have worked as it's the same face layout as the W0,6175, but it's geared for the odometer counting in miles instead of km's, so it can't be used in Australia (unless I pull it apart and change the plastic gear driving the odometer) legally. :cool:

The other problem was the right-hand gauge (temp + fuel - car is non-turbo). Since the temp and fuel needles rest at different orientations I had to force the temp guage needle out of position so the indiglo face could be slid into place. Ever since then the temp gauge has been playing up. Sometimes it reads properly but most of the time as soon as the key is turned the needle goes right to the top and stays there! I know the radiator fan is working so it's not really a huge issue but something I'll have to fix eventually next time I have the dash apart.

Craig.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts