Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sesame Street was better 25 years ago while it was still about learning, before it became a marketing vehicle.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Glad to see your still alive. I don't know how much i can input since i haven't watched the show in a long ass time. I do remember them doing such things as "Zoey the HIV positive muppet" or something like that..... i found that to be unneccesary for a show aimed @ small children... i watched that show religiously though as a child. I will gladly discuss the many hilarities (yeah i think i just made up a word) and innuendos, because i remember all of that.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
It was about marketing back then, too, just more Sesame Street specific. Nevertheless, I was a big fan of Barkley, Bert, Ernie and company.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sesame Street was better 25 years ago while it was still about learning, before it became a marketing vehicle.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
Couldn't agree more. I'm only going to allow my daughter to watch pre-Elmo Sesame Street on DVD. Fuck Elmo.

And I love the song with this guy at the end... "SUGAR!"

·
Registered
3,270 Posts

I listened to a history of Sesame Street on NPR a while back, it was rather interesting. I don't remember much besides that it was originally aimed at intercity minorities.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Not sure why that got banned.... other than for being irritating

this is the kinda stuff i miss:

heres a clip, more of a reminder of the classics, i just youtubed it

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i was reading an article about the katy perry thing last night.

the best comment was:

"i dont know why the episode was pulled for boobs, every kid watching it just finished sucking on their moms within the past few years anyway!"

it has gone to shit, i agree.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I guess being one who grew up on it and has not watched it in the last 15-20 years I can not say I would be a fair judge based on today's version. What i remember seemed educational and current. I remember when Mr. Hooper died too - that's when I learned about death :) And Maria was the "Hispanic" female of the show as well. Bert and Ernie taught learning and that being gay is OK. lol Oscar was my personal fav however - him and (I am going to attempt to spell it) Snuffalufigus (the big brown furry elephant thing)

That aside - Jim Henson was the man, and the Muppet Show was tits - bring back the muppet show!

"Dad, what's a muppet?"
"Well - you see, it's not quite a mop, and not quite a puppet. So to answer your question I don't know"

The Simpson's ^

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see your still alive. I don't know how much i can input since i haven't watched the show in a long ass time. I do remember them doing such things as "Zoey the HIV positive muppet" or something like that..... i found that to be unneccesary for a show aimed @ small children... i watched that show religiously though as a child. I will gladly discuss the many hilarities (yeah i think i just made up a word) and innuendos, because i remember all of that.
Well, they did the Kami thing in parts of Africa, where AIDS runs pretty rampant and many children are born HIV+, become infected through breastfeeding (the only option for women and babies in areas without potable water), or are orphaned by it by their 5th birthday. These kids live in areas where people believe that raping a virgin will cure them of HIV. Most of them will be affected in one way or another during their lives. It's never a bad thing for kids to have someone to relate to who can also fight stigma. I am firmly Team Kami and I might start watching with my kid if they brought her over here... but they never will.

The Katy Perry thing pissed me off for exactly that reason. Kids look at boobs and think "mmm, food." There was nothing showing and she was actually covered, it was just sheer. The song was cute. What especially pisses me off is that the segment was about Elmo blowing off for a dress-up playdate, her outfit was a costume.

I liked the crayons thing. It still comforts me.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess being one who grew up on it and has not watched it in the last 15-20 years I can not say I would be a fair judge based on today's version. What i remember seemed educational and current. I remember when Mr. Hooper died too - that's when I learned about death :) And Maria was the "Hispanic" female of the show as well. Bert and Ernie taught learning and that being gay is OK. lol Oscar was my personal fav however - him and (I am going to attempt to spell it) Snuffalufigus (the big brown furry elephant thing)

That aside - Jim Henson was the man, and the Muppet Show was tits - bring back the muppet show!

"Dad, what's a muppet?"
"Well - you see, it's not quite a mop, and not quite a puppet. So to answer your question I don't know"

The Simpson's ^
Bert taught me how to spell la-la-la-linoleum. Thanks to Kermit, my youngest sister still thinks that Cookie Monster is the 7th letter of the alphabet. Ernie taught me to appreciate what I had (this song saved my ass when I had an extremely colicky baby who only chilled out listening to either me singing that song, or Wayne Newton singing Danke Schoen.)

I liked Snuffy too (not even trying, lol) but as an adult I wouldn't want to show the vintage Snuffy clips to a kid- the clips where he disappeared when the adults showed up and so they never believed he was real- I wouldn't want to discourage my kids from telling me about something important that I didn't see, like the school bus driver smoking a crack pipe or someone molesting them or something, because they thought I wouldn't believe them, kwim?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This song has been stuck in my head since I was about 3. (when Sesame Street was only 2)

The 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 pinball songs jump in my brain often as well.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
This song has been stuck in my head since I was about 3. (when Sesame Street was only 2)

The 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 pinball songs jump in my brain often as well.
Do they still play that? I remember that through my childhood and I think I caught it on TV one morning a few years ago - I had to watch it, so classic.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do they still play that? I remember that through my childhood and I think I caught it on TV one morning a few years ago - I had to watch it, so classic.
Last time I watched SS on the regular was between '01 and '05 when I was a nanny. I didn't see it even once. :(

I forgot all about it until now, but I'm glad it came up. If anything it reminds me that now is not the time to get a collie.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I watched it as a kid, when my 7 years younger brother was still in diapers.

I watched it when my now 24 and 22 year old niece and nephew were kids.

And I'm watching it now with my two year old twins.

I'd MUCH rather watch Sesame Street than Barney. I just want to punch both it and the kids dancing around him right in the face....

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Looks like you pussies didn't watch Barney.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts