Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I've been dreaming to do when I'd be in US was to drive the actual Route 66. And I'm only 25 years late since officially Route 66 was decommissioned in 1985.

But hey, parts of it are still there! And actually after 4 months of planning and digging out, I'll be able to drive/walk/crawl over almost 2500 miles of Route 66.

This Saturday I'm off to Chicago (from Birmingham), and then to Santa Monica and then return back home. About 5k to drive in 21 days. Now... a colleague asked me if I'm taking my own car. I replied:
What kind of idiot do you think I am? Of course I'm taking my own car!
So, one of my goals while I'm in the States is becoming a reality. What a ride... AL, TN, KY, IN, IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ and at the end CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS and AL.

So, if you see a white 9-5 with the phrase "Route 66 or Bust" written on the rear bumper, wave at me! I'll be having the time of my life!

Derek.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I love road trips! You'll have a blast! Good luck and safe driving.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. How long you going to be in Chicago?
Planning 2 days (for now). I'm pretty flexible with my schedule. I'll just start driving when I feel like, stop when I feel like, eat when... well, you get the point (<- advantages of being single ^-^)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
this is a solo road trip?

you should atleast take some companion with you to keep you sane. dog? cat? gold fish in a bowl on your dash? tiger?
sometimes going solo is the best way to go, gives you time to clear your head and focus on the experience, I like taking trips alone, i try to plan to stop where i know people at some point and hang out a bit, but still.

Wish i could do this, alas my job prohibits such things, i'd have to use a years vacation at once to do a cc journey and enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
You should really take Turbo Dog. She's still up in Chicago and she's a great road trip companion. It only took two weeks, a couple thousand miles and four ferry trips to get her to go from this:

to this:

That said, make sure you do your research. I grew up around Joliet (outside of Chicago) and a lot of the old Route 66 is findable, not easy to find, but findable. There are a couple of old stretches of the road that have been abandoned in place, complete with cool old concrete bridges and whatnot.

Congrats on the road trip! Take pictures. Be safe. And, yeah, a free shower with fill-up at a truck stop seems like a good deal. It is not. ;)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Must takes at least 2500 pictures then.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Keep us posted with where you are, I travel for business moast of the places you are heading. And when you reach Santa Monica Stop by the Library on Main Street,. Great selection of Wext Coast Microbrews on tap , nice people and 1/2 price happy hour

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all! I'll make sure I'll keep you posted with lots and lots of pictures (I bought a D700 just for this trip)

3 days to go! I'm so excited!! :)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Two friends of mine from high school are into week 3 of their drive to Cali and back - the scenic way (with no maps aside their phones) and a rented Toyota Rav 4... should be some interesting stories when they get back next week. I could never get in a car with not real plans or maps and just drive like that - but w/e - their problem, not mine :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You should really take Turbo Dog. She's still up in Chicago and she's a great road trip companion. It only took two weeks, a couple thousand miles and four ferry trips to get her to go from this:

to this:

That said, make sure you do your research. I grew up around Joliet (outside of Chicago) and a lot of the old Route 66 is findable, not easy to find, but findable. There are a couple of old stretches of the road that have been abandoned in place, complete with cool old concrete bridges and whatnot.

Congrats on the road trip! Take pictures. Be safe. And, yeah, a free shower with fill-up at a truck stop seems like a good deal. It is not. ;)
this making me really want to do this, if you (or anyone) would want to organize a drive id be game, i'd like to see some of route 66, even if its not a whole cross country journey. I think it would be pretty damn cool, and would get some attention if we get enough saab owners... :)

But yeah to the OP, have fun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts