Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely talk to the guys at Automotion Saab and Volvo, who love Swedish iron and prove it by fixing it on weekdays and racing it on weekends.

The shop is in Billerica, Mass., but it's among the the few East Coast destinations for Frank Stromqvist of SQR, when he comes to the US a couple of times a year to custom tune cars. (Frank is scheduled to come back in March. I'm DEFINITELY there.) Boe Kalinoski runs the shop but his son Paul is the "go-fast" guy, as he races his 9000 Aero when he's not under a car. Within 20 minutes of talking with him, Paul identified four things I could have done to make my FrankenSaab project car faster.

One of the reasons I went with SQR for my ECU is the fact that Frank supports his own work by custom tuning his customers' cars whenever possible. At these tuning sessions, he also re-programs ECUs, so if you know what mods you want, or if you have them and you're waiting for the programming, you can get hands-on tuning in person. Just find a similar ECU on Ebay, or a junkyard, and keep your own as a backup.... )

You've probably heard about Frank's work (www.sqr.se) as lead tuner of Swede Team Motor racing. I'm totally impressed with Boe and Paul, mainly because they know their shit and they really love what they do. Boe put a supercharged Mustang small block into a C900 just for shits and giggles, and his favorite sleeper car is a Volvo Bertone coupe....with a Corvette LS1 engine! These guys are totally nuts, totally devoted to doing jobs right, and know how to tweak cars for reliable performance. (Boe races a 900 on weekends.)

If you're in the Northeast, or even a few hours away, I'd suggest coming up for that tuning day -- more details later when they're more solid. If you're in the south, I'd definitely recommend contacting Jak Stoll in Black Mtn., North Carolina, who's a great guy and beginning to expand his own tuning Saab tuning business. Or if you're in Florida, John Schreiber at Saab Services in Fort Lauderdale.

**** NOTE: This is a totally unsolicited endorsement. I have no connection, financial or otherwise, with Automotion. I just wanted folks to know that there is an amazing shop that can help improve performance, an area that most indie Saab techs tend to shy away from....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow i had no idea...Billerica is like 20 mins away from me :) let me know when this is all going down

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
by the way since i completly lost my list of parts suppliers in the u.s. (read my old computer with all my internet bookmarks crashed) whose selling sqr ecu's over here these days?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul is welding a manifold for me, so I'll find out more about the SQR tuning day. ....

Saabkid, you can get SQR ECUs through Automotion, or through Jak Stoll. Engstrom in Chicago isn't doing much of anything anymore.

Nick Taliaferro is distributing Nordic ECUs. Group 9 does Maptun....

You can get BSR through Parts for Saabs, but you might not want to....

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
well bad news...i wont have an sqr ecu by march. Jak stoll of three trolls told me it takes 8-10 weeks whihc if i ordered tomorrow puts me at mid march.

Does frank by any chance do tuning of a stock computer right there on site? or do you have to have his box? im confused about that...

thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd buy one off Ebay, or a junker, and bring it to the event. You'd need to call Paul at Automotion and explain the situation, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts