Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I work at a hotel in AZ and we get Camo prototype cars from GM staying here all the time. They Drive from Yuma, CA to Phoenix, AZ because it gives them all kinds of different road conditions and elevations changes. I saw two this morning and was caught taking pics as the workers were getting in. They didn't speak english, only swedish :p but one guy pointed to the hood and said "280." It's hard to tell how it will look when it's done because they purposely make it look unattractive now. Here it is. One of the guys was also driving the new Cadillac SRX with the turbo v6, probably the same one as in the Turbo X.

Quality LED Tailights...it's about time, right?

Definitely MUCH bulkier than previous models, I actually had my 9-5 Aero parked a few spots away and it was dwarfed by the new one. There's the turbo Cadillac in the background.

Hard to see, the interior seems slightly improved. The Auto shifter finally is leather wrapped and there is an engine start button now.

Updated Headrests?

Not crazy about the HUGE front end and typical GM, cheap plastic grill. the headlights are ok.

So there it is if you haven't seen it. Oh by the way, the one with 280 hp is a 6 cylinder with dual exhaust. the other one i didnt get a picture of was a 4 cyl but actually had a nicer interior for some reason.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Nice work! There was some discussion a while back over whether Saab had sneaky gone and made a hatch ala BMW and Porsche. But it's a sedan, no?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost 100% sure its not a hatch, but with all that camo it's not easy to tell. Really though, it's probably too large to be one.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
i was talking to the sales manager at my local dealership today. From what he knows theres is no real hatchback saab coming any time soon but he said the new 9-3 will be smaller while the 9-5 is obviously going to be bigger than the current one to try and create more of a gap between the two models, hopefully with koenigsegg taking over saab a proper new 9-3 coupe would be a nice edition

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Nice work! There was some discussion a while back over whether Saab had sneaky gone and made a hatch ala BMW and Porsche. But it's a sedan, no?
Previous pics on Saabs United have shown a trunk. That said, an infrequent commenter on SU (believe he's a dealer) who has seen the car in the metal, was apparently told there was a hatch variation in the works.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
those head rests look like saab finally caught up with active head restraints. the extra padding appears to be there to move forward upon impact to keep your head still..

good job on the pics...

the back end looks almost like the GTO with all that Camo...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Looks nice.
And I'd like a larger gap in between the 9-3 and the 9-5, hopefully we can get another hatchback sometime soon.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I like the long and sleek look there.

Things I'm not feeling are the concept style steering wheel that we have seen in some of the previous concept cars and I definitely don't care for the headrest shape.

One of the things I've loved greatly about the Saab headrest is in how I can find the perfect position where the curve sits perfectly underneath the back of the skull where it kicks out slightly and provides the perfect amount of support and comfort. I've yet to ride in a single car with those "block" style head rest where I felt comfortable resting my head on them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The new 9-5 looks good from what I can see. Looks 5-series big from the back. Hopefully the front of the car will get the major renovation it needs. I'm not too crazy over the interior I see, but any upgrade would be welcomed since the 9-5 has been ridiculed about an outdated dash/interior the last few years.

One thing I was contemplating is why Saab would keep the 9-5 name? I know the new car will be an updated, newer version, but if I'm in charge, I brand the car something totally different. In terms of cost and simplicity, it would be easier to keep the 9-5 name, but why not separate the new car from past models that haven't delivered? What would be a good new name though?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it looks like it will have very Aero-x features to the styling.

did anyone see the photos of it on saabsunited before they got taken down? I would love to see them, especially the wagon ;)

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
these were posted to Saabs United this morning before Saab asked they be taken down. apparently these are the real deal.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts