Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a problem with IE8 with anyone else? Very odd, but both my wife's and my PCs have just stopped running IE8 (posting via Safari). We both get errors popping up that IE is shutting down. I suspected a virus, but so far everything looks clean.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wish i could tell you but i run swiftfox as my browser and Ubuntu as my OS ;)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my wife has both Safari and Firefox, and both work just fine. I'm posting this via Safari, as mentioned before. Works fine.

Wonder if there's a date or time related bug in the last MS update. And how is it fixed? (rhetorical)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked the work PC, which is on IE6 (yeah, I know....), and, so far, working fine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have IE8 on Vista and WinXP machines and both are working ok.
Both machines are current on the important microsoft updates.

Even though popular opinion is not to use IE, I'm used to it and use it most of the time. I hadn't bothered to reload Firefox recently but have been tinkering with Chrome a bit.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, all, nice commentary, but of no help whatsoever.

Curiously, it's working fine again this morning.

Nevertheless, Safari and Firefox, FTW.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I was a big Firefox fan and used their 4.0 Beta with some tweaks and while it was great, I moved onto Chrome as it is a bit faster and more polished in my opinion.

The new IE9 is much improved Jim, can you get rid of IE8 and replace it with IE9 if you really want to keep IE?

·
Registered
965 Posts
first off get rid of Internet explorer and use firefox or chrome. IE has always been full of security flaws and cpu hogging processes since the beginning.

run this just in case Malwarebytes

best free virus protection out there, I have used tons of virus removal software, best IMHO.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whole point of the original question is why would both drop at the same time yesterday, then come back up today as if there were no issues. Just found it odd.

Very familiar with Malwarebytes. Excellent software.

As far as using or not using IE, work PC's are work PC's. Internal tools, good bad or indifferent, use IE, much to my dissatisfaction. Stuck with it.

Personal computers obviously a different matter. IE I just happen to use last night and found it "odd".

Anyhoo. Was what it was. Dropped, stayed dropped, but up as of this morning. Just plain weird.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Stupid question, but required. Did you reboot and try again after the whackyness?
Multiple times. Not a stupid question at all. Didn't work last night, does now, although I'm not using it now.

Edit: The odd thing is I didn't reboot between when it didn't work last night and this morning when it does now. Figure THAT one out.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aha! We do indeed run Norton here, too. Didn't make the connection. Thanks man!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts