Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I love my Viggen. I am going to reach my next bonus at work. I can either buy an 2006 Aston Martin Vantage, or just upgrade my Viggen for 10k and keep the difference. After showing my gf a parked Vantage last week and asking her what it was... she said "is it a Nissan"? I knew I was sticking to my Viggen...

Ok.. here goes.. you can see the current mods I have on my Viggen in my profile. I want to put another 100k miles on my car before I bury her. I know right now I need to replace the pistons and rings to start as well as the clutch (still stock with 156k miles ;) I want to push 400 hp... What is the best way to do it on a 10k budget? I know I need a LSD which I can pick up from GS. Let's talk Turbo's and cams as well as additional ECU upgrades (currently have JSP's ECU).

Thanks in advance,
Brett

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
If you have the choice between a modded Viggen and an Aston Martin Vantage, go with the Aston.

Take it from someone who put in $10k+ into a Viggen, the flaws that remain are still pretty big.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why would you want to heavily upgrade a car that has a terrible chassis and drivetrain layout for performance, when you seem to have the money to buy an actual performance car?

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Why would you want to heavily upgrade a car that has a terrible chassis and drivetrain layout for performance, when you seem to have the money to buy an actual performance car?
LOL Nico.

I agree though, I would just buy a performance car and keep the viggen around for the utility of the hatchback, teaching the gf to drive stick, etc.

I would also consider looking at an Elise as well. There are a lot of bargains to be had in the used market.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Keep the Viggen stock and drive it into the ground. 10k more into it is not wise, especially at 156k. With 10k into it at that mileage, your maintenance and reliability costs are going to be insane. Another minus is that mods on a Viggen probably nets you 30 cents on every dollar you've invested. So in essence, 10k into your car makes it only worth 3k more than stock. Bad thing if you plan on eventually selling, dismissable detail if you plan on keeping forever.

With the Vantage, you're going to probably see rising maintenance costs too, but at least it will be an Aston Martin. Then again, cars are not good investments. My no-fun advice: drive the viggen & invest/save your money.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Sensibly, you should save the money, but why live sensibly all the time? If you love the vig and you want to put 10k into it, go for it. Like others said you wont see the money returned but if you love your car then you love it. You could be like everyone else and buy a sports car, or you can do what you want.

My sensible side : save the money, buy a nice piece of property, or buy a sports car.

My Saab side : blow 10k and why stop there

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
THIS THREAD could have been full of win:rolleyes:
BUT! in the absence of Luca, it`s doom to oblivion :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
this thread would make a hell of alot more sense if luca wrote the op

but i mean seriously, if you have the money to buy a vantage, why build a viggen up?
i mean if you had something with a quality chassis i say go for it tenfold

or lets say if you had $20k to throw into the viggen then throw $15k toward completely changing the suspension to something that worth a damn
then use the rest to build up the engine

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL Nico.

I agree though, I would just buy a performance car and keep the viggen around for the utility of the hatchback, teaching the gf to drive stick, etc.

I would also consider looking at an Elise as well. There are a lot of bargains to be had in the used market.
LOL.

Nico needs to post more.
I just call em like I see em paisans!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts