Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what the price is or any information about that because it's in a different language though... hehe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was talking with my dad and my boss at work..... and they told me that in order to lower the car the 1.25" I would have to put in new shocks and a bunch of other stuff or the car would have major problems not too long after it was lowered. Is this true with Saabs? My boss was talking from his experiences with beamers and my dad wasn't exactly sure but that was his guess too.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Whitesummer let me start out by telling you I completely understand the need to lower the car. I can picture it in my mind and honestly I die in ecstasy. That was until I moved back to college with my 2000 9-5. The dips are so low in this town because of the flash flood channeling that sometimes I can't avoid scraping. LOwering it would only cause more problems. Also if you look in your manual I believe it says not to lower the car. Now you could add bigger wheels and make it look lower, but I think the manual advises against that too. I'll call my Saab mechanic and ask him what he would recommend.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There's a number of options.

First, you can get a full Aero suspension (assuming your 9-5 is not an Aero). This will only lower your car 10 mm, but the handling will improve dramatically. A Saab has a "roadholding kit", which is essentially a set of Aero springs, dampers and anti-roll bars. I have one on my car, and I'm quite happy with it. The kit sould cost you about $550 from a Saab dealer, installation extra. The same parts bought separately would cost almost double.

Second, you can put on an aftermarket set of springs and dampers, or any of those in combination with Aero hardware. There are folks on Saabnet with, say, Bilstein shocks and Aero springs. A set of springs and shocks from a brand name like Koni, Eibach, Bilstein, B&G, etc. will cost you close to $700-750. A good shource for those is shox.com. A pair of Aero sway bars for $150-170 would be a nice addition.

And finally, you can get those crazy coilovers Tweek's mentioned.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Osiris said:
The dips are so low in this town because of the flash flood channeling that sometimes I can't avoid scraping.
Actually, lowering a Linear would not be as bad as lowering an Aero. It's the body kit on the Aero that's known for getting scraped. And I don't recall anything in the manual advising against lowering the car or installing bigger wheels. In fact, Saab has a factory 18" wheel option. Just fit the tires to match the size properly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can easily lower the car with springs only but given the soft nature of your shocks and the fact they are probably original and close to worn, your car will bounce. BUT that should be the only "real" problem you encounter. I wouldnt worry about it too much if you are just after a better look. GO FOR IT! You can get springs for less than $200 and if you are handy and have some good tools you can do the job yourself. If you have some extra money, get the shocks too and your cars handling will be competely transformed! You will need an impact wrench, impact socket, spring compressor and a lift of course...if these arent available to you, labor shouldnt be too much to have a shop do it for you. If you have access to these tools, let me know and I will give you instructions for installation. It's a job you and a friend can do in no time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have access to all the tools, and my boss at work knows how to do all this stuff. My boss was also telling me (I don't know if I already mentioned this in this thread) that if I put new springs on without putting on new shocks as well, the shocks will break (not immediately, but over some time). I'll ask my mechanic and the dealership I bought it from about this also.

Oh yeah, and...

How much would new shocks be?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
don't forget to get an alignment :!: after you lower it /check the camber! You want to have even tire wear. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked around at a bunch of things, and spoken with a few people.. here's the latest:

I'm buying 4 new ultra high performance all-weather tires, and trading my tires + wheels for my dad's.

He has the low profile Aero wheels + tires which he doesn't like because they "suck ass" in the snow and rain (which is understandable).

As for lowering the car, i'm still reading into that. =)

·
Registered
461 Posts
On the larger wheels in my Saab 9-5 Owners Manual on page 234 under specifications it says Wheels larger then 17" must not be fitted to the vehicle. Can't find anything on lowering it though. Don't know why they would tell you not to put larger wheels on it. BUt I bet there's a reason.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
yeah the 9-3 manual says not to fit above 17 but i have seen several people run lo pro tires on 18's with no major problems, maybe a little rubbing at full wheel lock if the car is full of their fat buddies. :lol: i think you gotta be careful to pick the right rim and tires size if you go to 18's, and to go to 19's is asking for trouble, and it would look excessive anyways.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I jsut got off of the phone with Saab Canada asking them about the 17" wheel issue.. all they said was that because THEY tested it with a 17" rim. Having and 18" or bigger size rim could affect things like the ABS, steering.. and jsut generally cause things to wear out prematurely... so basically... they are jsut saying that to cover their ass incase something goes wrong.
so if you can find a nice lookin rim thats an 18".. and a 5 x110 setup.. go ahead.. also i heard that any audi a4 rims would fit.. some monoblocks or something.. cause they are a 5x112.. so apparently 2mm is 'close enoguh'..
:?

·
Registered
475 Posts
5X112 WILL NOT FIT! The reason they say not to use a wheel larger than 17" is because there is no ECU calibration for that size wheel/tire. There will be no problems with the ABS but the suspension will suffer a little more wear due to the shorter sidewall and the increased work the suspension will have to do when absorbing bumps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah i guess that makes sence.. how it woul cause more wear on the suspension.. its jsut a shame.. because 18" rims would jsut fill it in so much nicer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Go ahead and get the 18's. The wear I speak of is minimal and not worth changing your mind. A lot of it is dependant on the quality of your roads and your driving style. They look great on the car and do fill the wells nicely. Here is mine with a set of SP H&R Special springs as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts