Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into ways to get another .5-1 inch of drop up front. I have b&g springs installed. Three ideas Ive seen are to:

1. Cut a little of the spring- easy to do, but if I ever want to go back I pretty much have to get new springs

2. Cut the rubber pad as shown on Eric's Saab Site- easy to do and return to stock if necessary, but I don't know how it will affect the suspension and I don't think it will lower it enough

3. Move the spring seat/perch down however much I want- I have extra strut housings/knuckles to mess around with, pretty decent welding skills and a good tig welder. Ive heard of this being gone, but cant find any good info on it.

Im leaning toward #3, mostly because I can lower the car as much as I want, I can go back to stock with my extra set, and doesn't involve cutting/modding my springs.

Any input or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the means and the skill, as well as the extra strut housings then I'd try #3.
I'm probably going to give it a try over winter break and see how it goes. Know of anyone who's done it?

assuming you're not willing to buy the coilovers from genuinesaab?
Coilovers would be nice, but I cant justify spending that much money. I'm trying to save up enough to insure my truck next year.

Let the air out of your tires :)
Well silly me I should have thought of that earlier!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I see this tittle in my spam box all the time...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was waiting for some kind of joke haha.

lol @ cutting wheel. "I dont think a whole coil will be enough, but ill try it." lowering the truck from the lift, and it just kept goin down and down and down haha. i was like o crap. but it ended up perfect height! except for the part where i baught crappy springs to begin with. my bump stops take a beating on that thing haha

·
Registered
770 Posts
I cut 2/3 of a coil out of my front Koni springs to drop a little more-I like the ride height and look. I think cutting up to one coil is fine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cutting the springs would certainly be easier and get the job done, but if I want to go back to the height before I cut them I'm sorta s.o.l.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive got another question. What would be the best way to cut the perch off the strut housing? I have a plasma cutter, but I'm not sure how close I can get with it and not damage the strut housing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'd say cut the perch with either a how saw that fits pretty close on there or a cut off wheel. Cut just at the weld a little at a time, just enough to break through.
Never done that but seems like the only way. Plasma cutter might work, but might be hard to get an accurate cut and there might be a risk of burning through the strut housing.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd say cut the perch with either a how saw that fits pretty close on there or a cut off wheel. Cut just at the weld a little at a time, just enough to break through.
Never done that but seems like the only way. Plasma cutter might work, but might be hard to get an accurate cut and there might be a risk of burning through the strut housing.
Yeah I will definitely give that a try. This will probably be sort of a guess and check kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I wonder if it would be easier to build a new perch? Torch the old one off and toss it. you won't even need to get that close to the housing if you put the new perch an inch lower.

just get a piece of cut ring the right diameter, and a flat plate cut into a circle with a hole in the center.

Option 4, use intrax springs. they are super low, and super bouncy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts