Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done putting a Turbo on my N/A and I'm not a fan of my idle.

I used the following parts-

9000 intercooler
9000 turbo MAF sensor
t25 turbo
stock downpipe
stock 9000 intercooler to throttle body pipe
3in jt cat back.
stock N/A injectors
stock N/A fpr and rail
stock diverter valve

I used 3 different computers, the stock N/A, the stock turbo, and a chipped turbo. when ever I let off the gas to hit the break in the neutral gear the car shuts off with all 3 ecu's (not all plugged at the same time). I'm only punching 3 pounds of boost maximum so I don't know why I can't at least keep an idle. Anyone with experience, please shed some light on this problem.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Sounds like a vac/boost leak issue...somewhere.

Typically the most simple answer is probably the right one. I would hunt that out real thourougly.

Are all of the fittings/vac lines probably secured? Now that you're running boost that is important. Also, do you have the correct breather setup from crankcase to the intake tube (downstream of the MAF) and the check valve in the line running from the crankcase to throttle body?

·
Registered
645 Posts
thought 9000s used M.A.P(ressure) sensors.. not airflow sensors....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
^ pre 93 used d.i. apc system. Also I would highly suggest getting the turbo injectors/fpr you dont want to lean out when your on the boost.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
thought 9000s used M.A.P(ressure) sensors.. not airflow sensors....
1994 was the only year a non turbo would have come with a MAP sensor, as it was the only Trionic n/a 9000...they are pretty few and far between. I would bet that the original poster does not have one of those.

^ pre 93 used d.i. apc system. Also I would highly suggest getting the turbo injectors/fpr you dont want to lean out when your on the boost.
Yup, along with a turbo ECU otherwise the ECU won't be scaled to the injectors and it will idle/run not as it should. Also, pre 1994 non-turbos used LH/DI. A 1993 non turbo is not a trionic car.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
if your still running the NA manifold you may be blowing a coupler open
Is your Bypass valve setup correctly.... If its venting to atmosphere you are allowing un-metered air into your engine....

Your injectors/FPR should be fine as long as your running base boost 4-6PSI...

On my LPT B202 i ran 8 PSI for 10k on the stock fuel system with no reliability issues. The car was parted with a blown transmission;(

·
Registered
68 Posts
I turboed my NG900 2.3i and I ran into the exact same problem, the car would not idle and would only start on starting fluid. This was only true when the car ran on T5, car ran fine on Motronic. The bottom line is no stock ECU is going to be set up for a high compression engine running boost; fueling is just always going to be different. There is a TSL member who boosted his NG900 after me and got a custom tune from JZW and his car runs great. His name is grkguy89, shoot him a PM.
Tom

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am running the N/A manifold and my diverter valve is venting after the MAF. When I opened my hood I do remember seeing the line from my diverter valve hanging freely. As for stock tune the first application I ran was a chipped turbo ecu. I found that I ran too rich due to the amount of smoke that poured out of the exhaust when I floored it. In the AM I'm going to to try to run the chipped ecu with clamps on the couplers to see if that helps me out. When I put the stock N/A ecu on it ran rough but the car was still hot.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Sounds like a combo of a few things - ECU and Vac/Boost leaks. I think because the car is now Turbo - it needs a Trionic/DI ecu - where as the factory wiring is for a LH or motronic? I am hazy on the older stuff these days - more so the N/A cars.

Right off the bat I would swap the stock N/A injectors and stock N/A fpr and rail for some Turbo stock items. This could be 1/2 of the problem alone. Lack of fuel.

I'll think about this a bit more and re-read the posts and see if I can get a bit more creative.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If the chjpped turbo ECU and the stock turbo ECU are from a '92 (green label), they won't have circuitry for an AIC valve because they're set up for TCS electronic throttle.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If the chjpped turbo ECU and the stock turbo ECU are from a '92 (green label), they won't have circuitry for an AIC valve because they're set up for TCS electronic throttle.
oh yeah - more variables lol

What year is your N/A - what year are the parts from - what are the ECU Years?

TCS car ECU will never work right on your car..... the fact you can drive around in it amazes me if that's the case.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
im glad i sometimes accidentally click on random threads

i have an ecu thats mapped for a high compression 2.3 N/A with a t25 (it just cant be flashed again) thats just sitting
not sure if it will work on your 9k though

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the car is a 92, the chipped ecu is from a 91 9000, the stock turbo ecu is from a 92. I'm not running trionic I'm using jetronic computers.

grkguy89 I followed your N/A build thread, I thought you did a trionic build.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
i did do a motronic to trionic
so ya that wont work...

all i can say is try to move over to trionic since its easier to manipulate

i had an idle issue when i was still on motronic w/turbo
the diverter HAD to recirculate for the car to idle... you cannot have it bleeding off into the atmosphere or else it acts like a huge vacuum leak

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.