Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well heres the deal...i bought my saab 9000cs for $100 bucks after my uncle totaled it. I then put $1500 in body work to get it back and the word, and continued on to put about $1200-$1500 in additional mods to a grand total of 171hp and 256 ft/lbs of torque and a 15.3 second quarter mile. Its been my pride and joy...i did all the work myself and even still had a cracked front bumper from the accident as battle scars. The car was backied into the second day it was on the road adding to its wounds. Ever since then (mid january) ive had a few small problems like a power steering leak, and bad mileage (which i fixed). Well last night was the icing on the cake. I went to the mall to get my new nextel phone since im going away to college in rhode island in 9 days. Things went bad when i got a dead phone right out of the box...but they gave me a new phone immediatly, yet i should have known it was going to be a bad night. I headed over to my friends house to say goodbye to her since she left for college this morning. I got there no one else was there so i went to take a ride around the block...five minutes into the ride everything goes to shit...i take a corner i take all the time nice and slow for once and all of a sudden MY AIRBAGS GO OFF!!! i was scared shitless and shit the car off and got out. To my dismay there was nothing in the road and no damage to my car....the airbags just blew with no explanation...leaving me scared to death and with a burned hand but luckily i sit back far enough that i didnt get it in the face. Now we all know that getting airbags repacked is enough to total out a car by an insurance company...i didnt call insureance or anything so i dunno what im gonna do...i doubt my parents will let me drive a car with no airbags AND no abs...its just become a deathtrap...my only option is to part it out then junk it or try and find a sucker to buy it for like 4 grand. Anyway...i just needed to vent as i basically have to get rid of my baby now...

any advice on what to do here would be appreciated to....thanks

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
my advice is go to college, get wasted, get laid, repeat daily until you feel better.

no for real, sorry to hear about that... :cry: you might want to consider selling it because you don't really need a car in college anyways and that money will come in real handy. I had a money pit car in college and it got more in the way and cost me too much beer money. all my buddies had cars anyways, so I could always find a ride anywhere I needed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
airbags seem relatively inexspensive on e bay. though, you may not trust that source. but- give it a look , and you may see the parts you need.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
bah, who needs airbags... just stick em back in there and keep driving it :lol: .

That friggin sucks man, you were just sarting to get that thing sorted out too :cry: isnt that the way it always goes.

well i agree with robjunkins, check ebay, also call around to salvage yards and check the local junkyards, you might get lucky. And remember, just cause you dont have airbags, doesnt mean that the car is a death trap, in fact more often than not they do more harm than good. you can just get some airbags that havent deployed and just put em in there unplugged just to make it look like you have airbags, hell you could find another older 9k that had a glovebox and put that in instead of the airbag on the passenger side.

well i dunno, those are just my crazy dangerous ideas, its really up to you, i hope it all works out for ya. You could always just start looking for a c900, theyre cheap and fast and most of em dont have airbags :D .

Paul

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pretty often airbag setups go off on ebay in the 80$ range for both airbags and the aribag module, this is puttting them in is pretty easy and they should work correctly if you install them correctly. Most likely the aribag module was damaged a little bit in one of the accidents and for some reason delayed deployment of the airbags, might want to contact on of the dealers on that, something doesnt seem right. Or you could just sell it by a toyota camry and drive that till your out of school.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it would be a death trap cuz it already has no abs and no no airbags...initial quite at a discount for personal friends body shop is atleast 2500 to do both bags...my parents said they might help me out but still...ive got a friend who might buy the car for about 4 grand and hes already got plans for a jt full 3inch and maptun stage 3...so....i dunno...i gotta sort everything out with my parents and all that shit...cuz i mean i have enough money to support myself at college but still this sucks cuz yeah pauls right i was just gettin this shit sorted out and now im screwed basically...so pissed....

·
7,595 Posts
Man that really sucks. What I would do is call around the junk yards to find a replacement set. That would probably run you in the $100-250 range for an air bag set and the module. I would also get a set of the triggers while you are at it because if I had to guess I would say that who ever replaced your radiator support probably disturbed one of the air bag sensors so it was touching metal. The trigger sensors MUST BE in their mounting bracket properly, if they are not, simple vibrations like those caused by a ruble strip could possibly set them off...

If you don't feel you know anyone competent enough to make the repairs take it to a saab dealer and bring THEM the parts from where ever you get them.

Personally what I would do here is buy a set of air bags (JUST the air bags) pop them in but leave them un hooked so all looks normal for inspections and such.

this will make it so your SRS! light is on all the time, just remove that bulb, problem solved.

Quite honestly, this is not the 1st, and I'm sure not the last story I have heard about a car that's had work done on the front end having an accidental air bag deployment while in normal driving conditions. It is so important that people know not to mess with air bag sensors. this could have been caused by something as simple as not putting a bushing back on the air bag sensor when the rad support was replaced.

And anyway… as long as you sit far enough back from the wheel and wear your seat belt, you don't need a silly air bag.
[/i]

·
Administrator
302 Posts
You will NOT be in a death trap. SAAB was reluctant to install airbags on the 9000, they´re not needed! That car has been rated as the safest car around the world, long before ABS and airbags were installed. If you crash at a speed higher than one the 9000 will save you from, no airbags in the world will save you.
You´ll be MUCH better off in an old 9000 without airbags and ABS than in most newer and smaller cars. I doubt you´ll be that safe even in a brand new car of smaller size.
Get rid of the airbag on the passenger side and get a glove compartment, get a nice (saftey) wheel (one that collapses on impact) to steer the car from and you´ll be just fine. Me, I would probably fix the ABS since it´s a good thing to have, although my 9-3 is my first car with ABS (and the car before was a 1998) and I´ve driven many winter miles without it.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
yeah thats the point i was trying to make Bollman, just do like delorean said and make it look like you have airbags for inspection purposes and go along on your way, its not a friggin death trap, its a saab, one of the safest cars ever built. dont sell it and get something crappy :( . trust me anything non saab at this point is only gonna dissapoint you.

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Dude - that sucks. Either put the car aside for some time and let the frustrations cool off - or sell it to one of us Saabers - we'll fix her up and give her a new home. (And give you some cash for college) Good to hear you're ok tho. How's the hand look?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well its prolly not to bad a fix but i just cant afford it personally...if anyones interested in the car im taking offers...book value is about 3400-3500 plus all aftermarket stuff...lookin for 4500 or a reasonable offer i think...car is in great condition in my opinion...no rust etc. put down 171 hp and 256 ft/;bs of torque...someones gotta have a nice home for it??? :roll: please??

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well its official...my decision is now down to either just selling the car as is or calling insurance and totalling it out. I called numerous places today about airbags...long story short... new york law is that you cant fix a car with used airbags...therefore...drivers bag is 625 and passenegrs is 950 plus the labor for install and resetting everything...prolly over 2000 dollars....im so mad right now...someone please take this as there project i really dont want to let it go but i have to.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is the cs turbocharge, how many miles, how rough is it , and most important how much do you want for it.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
abs has never been proven to stop a car any faster.... just in theory it should work better.... I personially hate ABS

·
Registered
556 Posts
Boxerchip said:
abs has never been proven to stop a car any faster.... just in theory it should work better.... I personially hate ABS
And half the time when cars get old, the abs computer gets faulty anyhow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
all abs does is keep you from skidding it makes the brakes grab in increments instead of just locking up. the main perk that i see is insurance being lower!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes the cs is turbo charged. it started out as a low blow turbo but then i added a cse ecu and bpc solenoid and a boost controller...runs a dyno tuned 18 psi boost. also a forge blowoff valve. theres suspension work and the rare aero wheels. mileage is 175,500 current issues...no abs, blown airbags, a/c doesnt work because of a leak out of the condenser (cheap fix). The abs prolly needs a new computer. theres still some damage to the front bumper (from original deer hit) and a dent in the hood. starting price is about 4,300 negotiable based on what parts you want left on it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
that sucks man, sorry to hear about your misfortune..

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
top dollar I'd offer would be like $3000 man - and that's with all the goodies... i hope you can get more - but if not - let me know. I think you should just keep it and fix it personally - you'll come across those air bags and computer eventually cheap. Watch e-bay.

·
7,595 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
top dollar I'd offer would be like $3000 man - and that's with all the goodies... i hope you can get more - but if not - let me know. I think you should just keep it and fix it personally - you'll come across those air bags and computer eventually cheap. Watch e-bay.
I'm fariyl sure he IS planing on fixing it now, just needs the time to do it I'm guessing.

BTW, I can get you a saab airbag whee for fairly cheapl if you need it. probably even one that works! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts