Quote from the workorder
Customer states check engine light is on also srs light
Advised customer of code B2441- Open circuit - Needs Driver's
Seat Belt P/N 4849519 690.00 P/L+tax
Check Engine light is on for Code PO171(Fuel Trim LEAN) And
PO1172 (Idle Speed Too High) - Idle and Fuel Trim were within
range at time of testing -- Also advised customer of broken
valve covered grommet
Funny thing about the CEL is that it goes off at outside tempures 65 and above.
Any help with these would be great

also check other post about the dealership http://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforum/viewtopic.php?p=28607#28607

Thanks
D

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Let the CEL come on again and goto Autozone or a parts store that offers code reading and pull the codes yourself and then call another dealer and search the internet for an explanation as well. Also if anyone on here has access to the WIZ you can get the details of the codes as well.

Just check the codes yourself to see if the dealer is correct.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried AutoZone for some reason it doesn't work right.
Does the engine need to be running for a correct read?

I do have the feeling it might be right because my gas milage sucks (17mpg)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be the problem

I'm borrowing this quote from another thred
rcmdesign wrote:
For some reason ODBII didn't come out on the 1995 900s but for some reason I have the plug installed under my dash
But how do I go about correcting my fuel/air mix?
would this have anything to with the air mass reader, O2 sensors or fuel injectors?
And where are the o2 sensors at? I know one is at the end of the manifold
And now i have an exhaust smell coming in the cabin, weird :? :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
sitting here trying to figure if this is for real or not...

too many digits in one of your codes...but when I use p0171 ..I'm showing
"System Lean (Bank 1)", and using p0172 "System Rich (Bank 1)".
There is a Tech II for pre-OBII (OB1)cars sold also. Shouldn't give you a read out with the car running.., but the engine should not be running when checking.

sounds like car with t-7 9-3 components. What year and make of your car again?

Your O2 sensors should be before and after the Cat on your exhaust system. The CEL would be indicative of the comparitive between the two.

You've got an exhaust like smell into the car...or are you smelling a rich fuel like smell?

Have you Check your Intercooler for punctures, checked all of your vacuum lines for leaks..particularly near your throttle body? You need to address any leaks in the vacuum or manifold systems you may have.

Kind of curious about what your Dealer recommended the problem was...cause he's supposed to interpret the codes, and provide the solution..I thought

good luck

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah its real,
To answer your qestion, its an 1995 900s N/A 2.3 liter.
too many digits in one of your codes...but when I use p0171 ..I'm showing
"System Lean (Bank 1)",
Yes that would be correct for po171(lean mix)
Po1172 is for High idle, probably idling high because of the lean mix

A hose might be the problem with the smell, mmmmm, good call
Also advised customer of broken valve cover grommet
I'm going to contact the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Guess then the Intercooler or t-7 stuff is not relevant...thru me off thinking about temp changes making the CEL go away...

your probably loosing manifold pressure somewhere..and that grommett is where that smell is coming from ...I'll bet.

When was the last time for a tune-up or replacing the air intake filter?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All new plugs, bosch platnum and K&N filter, but I probably should replace the 02 sensors one day but the cheapest I've found is $160. just for one, is this right or is this a Rip-off?
I checked the hose and the tech must've taken my jerry rigged grommet (the outer rig of rubber and electial tape to fill the gap :wink: - it worked :wink: ) off and thats most likely the source of that mess
The temp change issue is weird i know....
But it runs like a champ I still take out hondas and other smart-asses, who dont know about this bad-ass car, in grocery getter clothes (wolf in sheep's clothing).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes that would be correct for po171(lean mix)
Po1172 is for High idle, probably idling high because of the lean mix
A lean mix will cause back-firing in the intake manifold - not really effect the idle speed.
A rich mix can cause the idle speed to increase

Quote from the workorder
Quote:
Customer states check engine light is on also srs light
Advised customer of code B2441- Open circuit - Needs Driver's
Seat Belt P/N 4849519 690.00 P/L+tax
Check Engine light is on for Code PO171(Fuel Trim LEAN) And
PO1172 (Idle Speed Too High) - Idle and Fuel Trim were within
range at time of testing -- Also advised customer of broken
valve covered grommet

So this is an example of how dealers do business today !! I find this practice to be reprehensible.
And who in the world can shell out nearly $700 for a seat belt ??
Is it any wonder men call them stealer-ships !
Why can't they just fix the car rather than give the customer all this gobbledygook ??
Or do they even know how to properly diagnosis and repair anymore??

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well about dealerships I'm not crazy about them myself, but if I want a dignositc that is where i have to go.
And to clearify that is all I asked for, just to know what is wrong Not for them to fix it, At $70 :roll: an hour just for them to work on it, no thanks! I'll do it myself. :p
And don't worry folks Im not about to pay $700 for a seatbelt. I'll try to find one from the junkyard somewhere.

And steve its an Naturally Aspirated - non-turbo there bud :lol:

But what do I need to fix this damn thing new parts, or an adjustment somewhere?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Adidas, I am thinking there is not wrong with the seat belt ( you would know if there was - they either latch or no..
The "problem" may be in a sensor wire or connection. or the sensor itself.
These systems are so complex that only the factory diagnostic manual will do.
Oftentimes the codes only confuse matters, one must know how the system works.. I am just learning, still a points and condenser man..

·
Registered
156 Posts
My two cents worth :roll:

1. The Tech II can be used with pre-OBD II cars. I've had it used on my 1994 NG900 turbo, no problems.

2. Is your dealer using the Tech II, or just a generic scanner? Those look like generic OBD II scanner codes to me.
http://www.obdii.com for infomation on this.

3. You can use the self diagnostics built into the car since you have the 'check engine' light on.
Go to www.saabcentral.com click the technical help, NG900, then look for Munki's site. He has instructions there on how to pull CEL codes for your Motronic ignition system.

If you're running rich you've got a problem with either an air leak in your MAF plumbing, a faulty coolant temperature sensor, or both. Since temperature seems to affect the CEL, I'd suspect the latter.

Also, I don't think the seatbelt is hardwired into the SRS system. SRS = Secondary Restraint System = (IMO) Airbag.
The seatbelt is the Primary restraint system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts