what am i getting myself into!!??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I used to drive one, an '86 in that same color. They will run forever if you take care of it. I did have a few problems with mine, but you learn to love them just like the Saab ;-)

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is a fellow up "on the hill", behind our house, somewhere on a farm, that is or was starting a business. He was building his own systems to use cooking oil from McDonalds.

Oddly, he was shut down by our own state Environmental Protection for not doing some "on paper plan" for the emission of peanut oil or something.

I think he is back in "bidness". I was stuck in a traffic jam on I-84 in CT behind a buy with NH tags in a wagon like yours and boy it smelled like fries.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the chef at one of the places I work has the same car. he uses it for commuting and delivering newspapers. 5 years ago the odo stopped working at 250k, since then he's put approx 100k on it. The funny thing is that he only fills up with diesel a few times a year. It's got the grease kit on it and once the tank warms up, he switches over to that. Every couple days he takes home a tank of veg oil from our friars and doesnt have to pay a cent. not a bad deal huh? Maybe ill install a grease kit myself at school and use it for my 100mi/day commute.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It already looks like it's going to be a better ski/snowboard/beach car then my 9k was. The seats fold totally flat and it has a roof rack!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
It already looks like it's going to be a better ski/snowboard/beach car then my 9k was. The seats fold totally flat and it has a roof rack!
Yeah they're horrible in the white stuff though, better get the best snow tires possible, and tire chains. They get stuck at the drop of a hat, best to stay out of moist fields

:lol:

Paul

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they're horrible in the white stuff though, better get the best snow tires possible, and tire chains. They get stuck at the drop of a hat, best to tear it up in moist fields

:lol:

Paul
That is what I plan on doing :cool:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I used to own one of those in college and that was one of the best cars I ever owned. Paid $900 for it with 160,000+ miles, drove the snot out of it, the only repairs I had to do were new radiator, alternator and vacuum pump rebuild. It's one of the few cheap cars I have owned and I would love to own again.

Ah, also, Mercedes Benz gives free roadside assistance to any Mercedes, regardless of age or price, so you don't need triple A when you ride a Benz. I got rescued a few times when my alternator was bad, called the MB guys and a dealership wagon came over and gave me a jump, no questions asked. MB also has the biggest single-brand auto club in the country, check out The MB Club of America, I went to a few of their meetings with my sub-$1000 Benz and I can say those guys aren't stuck up like most of the Bimmer guys.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would worry about it as a ski car. There is no way an RWD is going to pull like an FWD.

Two worst "ski cars" to date; 1989 MB 190 (but held in a wicked crash), and a rental Peugeot 504.

Serious ski hack shoulld be 4X or AWD and on pow days the roads aren't always plowed. Of course PA started shutting down the ski areas on dump days. :rolleyes:

·
7,595 Posts
RWD with an open diff does not make it great in the snow... It does however have a lot of weight behind it, low power and fairly skinny tires, so it is fairly controllable if you know what you are doing and can keep it moving. Forget about steep hills or traction on ice or mud, it won't do any of those.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
my ovlov wagon was awesome in the snow with a few bags of salt in the back, although hills were kinda a pita, and i usually ended up using the salt as a traction/getting unstuck aid. but like you were saying, low power, weight, and skinny tires def work wonders. Also nothing beats doing slow motion drifts in a parking lot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ladies and gentleman of the jury:

"Volvo wagon was awesome ... except I use the bags of salt as traction getting unstuck"

I rest my case.

My Volvo XC AWD was just pretty good in snow. My T-100 was real good. I have never had to dig out for traction except for my wife's ng900.

The 900's were better than the Volvo RWD's which is not saying a whole lot.

Before you get all rustled, there are a whole lot of types of snow. Utah champagne powder is like fluffy feathers and yeah .. "I was in over the bumpers but" .. Pennsylvania Powder is also known as ice, and left coast Sierra Cement is like oatmeal mush and you are not going to go far.

I hate generalizing about "My 9-3 after a dump went" ... and right behind the plow?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have checked those out myself because I hear awesome things about that 6cyl but with resalevalue as high as 12k for a 96 ill wait.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts