Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Water pump or A/C failure? Or both...

On the way back from Milwaukee today, I caught a whiff of a terrible smell...didn't smell like any sort of car smell, more like some weird chemical. Didn't think anything of it until I got back to Janesville and smelled it again.

Then, the "gurgling" and weird rattle-ish sound started. It changes with engine revs, but the car doesn't stumble or anything like that. Temp gauge was just fine. I have a video of it that I will put up later so you can hear the sound. But it sure does not sound good :(

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hm. I was leaning towards water pump...? I'm uploading a couple videos of it to photobucket right now. The sound is much more audible from the inside. Makes the same sound if heat is on or off.

I noticed my car will very slightly stumble occasionally if I'm holding it at 2500 rpms or so...but I think that has always happened.

The first two videos are from this morning. The bottom one is from last night, looking at the engine bay. The sound seems to be at the belt area, but nothing is visibly wrong...

It's the low rumbling sort of sound...almost sounds kinda hollow or gurgling.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update

So I pulled the belt today, and the sound went away. I spun the water pump, which resulted in a bad grinding sound (which I am 95% certain is the same as I had heard before), and spins quite freely, with very little wobble though. So I'm going to order a new WP now. Tensioner pulley has some wobble, and will also be replaced.

Now, the A/C pulley I'm not sure about. No wobble, but it has a fair amount of resistance, and a certain ticking sound. I will post up a video shortly. Is this normal for the A/C pulley to make a sound like that? It didn't seem obviously bad like the water pump...

EDIT: Actually, scratch what I wrote above. I was thinking the ribbed pulley at the lower front was the water pump. But that's actually the A/C isn't it? So my A/C is the one making the bad grinding, and the WP just makes the light ticking...

The Eeuroparts diagram doesn't show the A/C ??? Looks like it is showing the A/C bypass...

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
A/C is bottom to the front, with the WP above it and the PS on the top.

The Alternator is on the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. Wonder why Eeuro shows the A/C bypassed...

Poisonbeef do you remember what your WP pulley did when you spun it?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
it was wobbly enough that it could hit the timing cover.

Also made gross noises.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine doesn't wobble at all...doesn't spin freely and makes a consistent ticking sound with resistance. Not sure if this is good or bad.

I'm going out to buy the short belt today...still debating between a 1805 and 1815 mm length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts