Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the car for three days and this happens...UPDATED in first post

I was crossing a four lane street into a gas station and some [email protected] lady who was driving way to fast t-boned me. She was making a left onto the street I was crossing and just didnt look and slammed into the rear passenger quarter panel. I hope everything is copacetic, at least she hit me behind the door and in front of the tire. All things being equal it could have been worse, but Im super upset. She even tried to say that I hit her, WTF how could I hit her with the side of my car? :twisted:

UPDATE: I took the car to the shop yesterday to get an estimate for the damage. The good news is that it is only body damage, the frame is straight, there is no mechanical damage to anything, and it is safe to drive (besides being an eyesore) until it gets repaired. The bad new is they estimate a couple grand to fix it. I have the lady's insurance company coming out hopefully on Friday to look at it and get the repairs started. So I will be without a car for probably a week (they wont start any work til Monday probably) once I drop it off. At least its being fixed and I dont have to pay for it. All and all things turned out ok.

Anyway, here a pic I took of the car yesterday

And here is the damage that bitch did...

Im crying right now...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
That looks like your fault. Did she get your insurance info? Hopefully works out for you. I had a similar accident and was literally slid by another car while merging the highway. It was my fault.

Sucky damage. Either a whole quarter panel or suck this part out by the body shop and repaint it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah we exchanged all the insurance info, I also have several witnesses who were at the gas station saying that they saw her hit me.

I dont think the frame is bent (crosses fingers). Im just mostly venting my anger and frustration.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The frame is lower than that and further in anyway so unless its worse in real life, I would never assume a bent frame from that image.

Bondo is the WRONG way to fix anything deeper than a few millimeters.

Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bondo is the WRONG way to fix anything deeper than a few millimeters.
I totally agree. The Saab shop (my dads best friend owns it) I took it to has a great body shop they work with. The whole side panel and passenger door will have to be removed, reshaped and repainted. Also the paint will have to be blended with the rest of the car. So a long repair but not awful overall.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The fact that this is a coupe actually helps you out here, believe it or not. If a 4-dr took the same collision damage, meaning a hit on one of the rear doglegs, and owner can kiss it "goodbye." Because your car is a coupe though, you can most likely gain easy access to the rear of the damaged panel by removing the interior. Remove:

Pass seat, rear seat, rear interior passenger side panel, and you'll be right there.

If you can gain such access, I would recommend the following:

1. Beat it out with regular or body hammers. Use a piece of flat steel on the exterior and go to work. That will help you slowly straighten it without further mangling things.

2. When you get it halfway decent, meaning almost back to regular formation, but "very slight" depressions or kinks, go to work with your filler. If you've done good hammer work, it shouldn't be too hard to get it straight again.

3. After filler, go over with skim coat of finishing putty. Something like this:
Amazon.com: USC Icing 24 oz tube - Glazing & Finishing Filler Putty: Automotive
Find sand, prime, and you're ready for paint.

Do the above in a patient and methodical manner and you will not only learn some great skills, but will save yourself a great deal of money. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the step by step Andrew. I think I'm just going to let the body shop deal with it since I'm not paying anyway. Would that type of repair work for a quater sized dent in the hood? Remove the heat shield and bang out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts