Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, basically, there is 1 of 2 problems. Either A)the block is cracked B)the piston rings are fried.

It's overheating like mad, has extremely low compression (60 80 50 100), and generally doesnt work. We've sourced a complete B202 for $300, but still, $1200 worth of work I just had done on it went down the drain.

But, things are not all bad. When we pull apart the new engine (gonna put my cylinder head on it) we're gonna put a set of pre-apc pistons in it (what rings do I need to get for them?). So, I guess it's not all bad. The good thing is that my uncle is doing all the work, and he's gonna charge me very little labor to do it. Anybody else, and this would be a $2500 job(5 times what I paid for the car).

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
are you frikkin crazy?! Look - rebuilding a 2.0L motor does NOT cost that much - I've priced out ALL the parts and it will come shy of $500 with some aftermarket parts included!! I'm talking a total rebuild - add another $500 for head work and you're at about $1000 - this will cover sway bars, steel brake line kits , ALL new parts for the motor and a few things here and there. And the great thing is - you can rebuild the motor in a matter of days if you're taking your time. So it's not too tough. Shame you don't live closer - I'd get you a Motor for about $150, proably running too. :roll:

·
Registered
40 Posts
alright burnside ? are you scottish by any chance :lol: i get whole spg's ,,running for around 150 gb pounds .i might do a rebore to 2.1 and a headjob on a spare engine i have next year

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
ha ha - nope - not Scottish - Jewish :wink: :lol: My 86 SPG which I gutted and junked RIP was $475 and my 89 SPG which I am rebuilding was $700 BOth good finds - shame about the 86 tho - damn thing had more rust then metal..... Just bore a 2.0 block (rumor has it the 2.1's weren't as strong of a block) and then slap a ported and polished 2.1 head and intake on and you will instantly notice a differance from the start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
alright burnside i'm already running a ported and polished head 2.0l ,lightnened and balanced engine ,moded dizzy , advanced timing ,bougecord ignition lead , rrpr, k+n filter ,9k cooler, 3 inch system with single muffler the performance downpipe will be fitted in the next few days larger turbo and fuel chip fitted by the previouse owner

·
Registered
299 Posts
see if whoever did the $1200 of work on the engine has a warentie on their work.

·
7,595 Posts
I am trying to figure out what happened to this motor and WHO rebuilt it? :shock: a rebuilt motor does not last less than 10,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts