Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Number two is not usually first in an oil starvation. Could be loose balance shaft bearings eating some of its oil. Detonation can hurt a rod bearing pretty easy too.

Time to put the high compression 234 back in and feed it some ethanol. :)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Press the bearing out with the factory tool. Clean everything, rotate the bearing so the oil passage is blocked. Reinstall the bearing with the press. Check with compressed air. Note it on the build sheet. Just in case you decide to reinstall the chain down the road. Good idea to have a new "freeze plug" for the passage.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
make some

a case of bud will get you about a quart of moonshine... or so i've heard... and thats just ethanol
if i went through that much trouble, i would reward myself with drinking it.... not putting it in my car

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
How'd the crank fair the damage?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
make some

a case of bud will get you about a quart of moonshine... or so i've heard... and thats just ethanol
Uhhh.... can't you just buy corn alcohol? The last I checked Everclear was not particularly expensive....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
How'd the crank fair the damage?
photo of it doesn't look too good....

MIGHT be repairable - but I'd just get a used one from a local yard and check it to an engine clearance and go that way. Or replace the entire motor with used and not worry about it lol

That sucks man - good luck?!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Uhhh.... can't you just buy corn alcohol? The last I checked Everclear was not particularly expensive....
Ha yeah that's one way I guess. In VA though, can't just get it anywhere. Gotta go to TN or WV for that, so not worth the effort.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
photo of it doesn't look too good....

MIGHT be repairable - but I'd just get a used one from a local yard and check it to an engine clearance and go that way. Or replace the entire motor with used and not worry about it lol

That sucks man - good luck?!
actually it didnt look too bad in person... ill check it again tomorrow with pops (he knows best)
i might end up repairing what i got
if not
there is an engine down the street from me for $100, just needs a new HG

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i got the engine out and on the stand in under 1 hour and 30 min
(i think ive done this a good amount of times)

pops is pushing me to give my engine to the machine shop and get the whole thing balanced out and fix any other imperfections so it can be closer to being "bullet proof"
(also saying i should bore it out, throw bigger pistons in it as well, and port the head)

well see how the wallet feels when i send parts off

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
You can only "bore" those engine a little as you know the bottom right corner has a tight enough fit from the factory (thus the bolts loosening and the oil/coolant leaks the often have)

Upgrading Pistons?

Time for a 2.5GT motor right? lol Good luck, does your machinist have a no reciept under the counter policy? The guy I always used did and his prices were much better then the over the counter and in the books prices :)

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can only "bore" those engine a little as you know the bottom right corner has a tight enough fit from the factory (thus the bolts loosening and the oil/coolant leaks the often have)

Upgrading Pistons?

Time for a 2.5GT motor right? lol Good luck, does your machinist have a no reciept under the counter policy? The guy I always used did and his prices were much better then the over the counter and in the books prices :)
thats the great thing bout owning an automotive shop (wholesale prices)
plus we deal with the guy quite extensively
doubt im gonna go that crazy

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Ha yeah that's one way I guess. In VA though, can't just get it anywhere. Gotta go to TN or WV for that, so not worth the effort.
Pretty sure MD sells it.

Side note, you should head over to Arlington sometime. Tweek works about 2 miles from my house, could do a mini meet thing.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pretty sure MD sells it.

Side note, you should head over to Arlington sometime. Tweek works about 2 miles from my house, could do a mini meet thing.
im in the process of buying a 3/4ton truck and car trailer right now so i can come haul away ben's parts car for him (big expense month)
so if you plan on a mini meet with other maybe try for when i come up too? (just an idea)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts