Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a place in doors at my nearby other work to work on this car. The door seems 5.5 feet wide. But outside there may be a staircase in the way.

Also I can snag an 85ish N.A. 8 Valve head, will this work on the 78 B motor turbo?

I also plan on snagging the spindles and calipers from it, these bolt right up without much hassle?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I may have a place in doors at my nearby other work to work on this car. The door seems 5.5 feet wide. But outside there may be a staircase in the way.

Also I can snag an 85ish N.A. 8 Valve head, will this work on the 78 B motor turbo?

I also plan on snagging the spindles and calipers from it, these bolt right up without much hassle?
It's as wide as a 900, I don't know how wide that is. Wider than a 96, narrower than a 9000. :)

An 8-valve H-motor head would not work without a lot of modification and I don't think there would be much benefit to it. There's a guy who put a 16-valve H-motor head on a B-motor block in his really nice red 99 sedan and it took quite a bit of modification, I remember seeing it at SOC10. You'd be better off going with either a complete H- or B- motor. Keep in mind that if you do the H-motor you'll need to put a dimple in the firewall to accommodate the water pump pulley.

Also, yes, '87 and early 900 front spindles and brakes will bolt right on. This is a good modification as it makes the front rotors on a 99 much easier to change. This is one of the first mods I did to my long departed '76 99 EMS that I drove in college.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Years back when I had my 99 Turbo I liked using the very early B engine head. They seemed less prone to cracking. The easy way to tell them was that the exhaust studs/bolts used a 17 mm socket instead of the more common 13mm socket.

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so no on the head, I will hope nothing is tragically wrong with the one it's got.

I will definately grab the spindles and clippers off the 85 sitting at the Mt. Airy yard.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Ok, so no on the head, I will hope nothing is tragically wrong with the one it's got.

I will definately grab the spindles and clippers off the 85 sitting at the Mt. Airy yard.
I MAY have a one of a kind 99 brake setup for sale if I upgrade them to the proper ones the car was intended to have... gives you later 9000 front brakes :)

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
You should shoot for vented front rotors, the hubs are specific, should be all 86 turbos, and 87 turbos and S models. You should hold off and go to new ringgold with us, there are at least 4 of those cars there with good hubs, and that place is gonna be way cheaper than crazy ray's.

Paul

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yea just measured the second garage bay, just under 8ft wide with enough room for C900, hopefully will have enough room so that I won't have to do the Dukes of Hazzard :winky:

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to thesaabsite, the exhaust valves are the same all the way up to 88. It's the intake valves that are NLA and car specific. But I don't yet know that I need them. Have to get the head off the car and take it to my machine shop.

As for New Ringold, I may head up in 2 weekends. I'm working my days off this week so that I can finally have kiss my ass money.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yea going to pick up a head at Fairfax, they wanted too much money to replace 4 exhaust valves on an 88. :icon_frown:

According to thesaabsite, the exhaust valves are the same all the way up to 88. It's the intake valves that are NLA and car specific. But I don't yet know that I need them. Have to get the head off the car and take it to my machine shop.

As for New Ringold, I may head up in 2 weekends. I'm working my days off this week so that I can finally have kiss my ass money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts