Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I saw a DIY out there on how to repair and restore the cushioning for seats that have been flattened at the bottom. Anyone have the link for it?

Basically want to fix the cushioning on the driver's seat bottom

Here's how I want the driver's seat bottom cushioning to look like:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I thought I saw a DIY out there on how to repair and restore the cushioning for seats that have been flattened at the bottom. Anyone have the link for it?

Basically want to fix the cushioning on the driver's seat bottom

Here's how I want the driver's seat bottom cushioning to look like:
Okay, I did this on my 900, not a 9000 but similar.

It is an involved job, you would need to de-skin the seat, and then install new cushions. I don't think there is anyway to get around doing this...

When you de-skin the seat, there are a few important things to remember.

Where there are seems, there are these little circular clamps that hold the metal from skin, to cushion. These are open ended, so to open them I used a pair of needle nose pliers. That is really the only tricky part of taking the skin off. Putting the skin on is the reverse of this (even harder) You need to work in reverse, so you cannot slide the skin back on and then do the clamps, you must start inside out, and start with the seems. Now that I think about it, it is really the BACK that is a BITCH. The bottoms are fairly easy.

If you want me to make a small write-up on what exactly I did, I will.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm interested in doing this as well.
The photo guide certainly is useful... thank you for posting these.
BUT and it's a big but, where does one find or make proper fitting replacement foam pads.. to replace the oem's, which have squashed, causing the problem. Having tried stuffing in DIY foam, in past efforts only produced mediocre result.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
It's generally not the foam. The seats get flat because the tufting wires tear away from the leather skins. Once that happens the seams of the skins are no longer held down in the cavities of the foam padding which is what gives the seats their tufted shape. If you check out my pictures, you'll see that I've stitched the wires back on to the skins before reinstalling them.

One minor issue is that the leather will soften and stretch over time just from a warm body sitting on it. Getting the seats to puff and contour like they've never been sat on is a tall order. I suppose you could glue down some 1/2" foam padding on the center sections in the seat bottom which stretch the most.

Here's another set of seats that I stitched the wires back onto and reinstalled. Sorry, don't have a before pic but you get the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts