Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's been some discussion on ECU Project that you need a WIN 98 computer to run the BD32.exe file because you need native dos support.

This thread will teach you how to easily run DOS on a Windows XP/VISTA, without making any changes to your hard drive, using emulators etc...

What we're going to be doing here is booting directly into MSDOS as an operating system, off of a thumb drive.

TOOLS:
- A computer with a parallel port to plug your BDM connector into, operating system does not matter, and obviously bdm connector, ecu and power supply.
- A USB thumb/flash drive, we used a 528mb drive because it was readily available. I'm confident it could be done with even a 64mb card.
- Software from this website: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1457-how-making-usb-thumbdrive-bootable.html
- t5/7 flashing software, from xendus, or other sources.

First you need to use the guide above:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1457-how-making-usb-thumbdrive-bootable.html

The guide is easy to follow, formats your flash drive correctly, and installs MSDOS onto the thumb drive for you.

Second, copy the flashing files from your computer onto the flash drive. I recommend not using folders in the flash drive for less experienced users. You need to copy all of the commands on the flash drive, and the bd32.exe file. (ex. do prept7.do, do eraset7.do... etc need to be on the thumb drive.)

Third, with your thumb drive connected to the PC, restart your computer and press the F(whatever) button to enter your computer BIOS and change the boot order. On the computer we were working on, we were able to do a one time change by pressing f12, and each time we did this we could then select to one time boot from the USB.

Fourth, After you've restarted your computer and selected boot from USB drive, your computer will boot into MSDOS. This is not an emulator, your computer is booting into MSDOS as an operating system. Once you get a c: prompt, type in bd32.exe and you're good to go.

You can then dump your tune as you would normally after you've prepped it, and when you restart into Windows, you will be able to look at the thumb drive, and take the file off of the drive and work on it with T5/7 Suite. When you've got a file you're ready to write, just make sure you save it to the thumb drive, then restart booting from the thumb drive and write your tune.

* This tutorial is expecting you to know how to read/write files already, as explained thouroughly on xendus.se and ecuproject.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I just open command prompt to boot BD32 in my XP laptop and it works fine...with Windows XP still running.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I just open command prompt to boot BD32 in my XP laptop and it works fine...with Windows XP still running.
Yep it works. I saw it.

As for OS differences and DOS, for the application it doesn't seem to matter. Despite XP having a stripped down version of DOS. If you want me to get more technical I can.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some people have been able to run it, we couldn't type when we got it running, so this is how we did it.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Some people have been able to run it, we couldn't type when we got it running, so this is how we did it.
Did you boot it through command prompt, or did you just double click the BD32 icon?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you boot it through command prompt, or did you just double click the BD32 icon?
Booted it through the command prompt.

JK is on the right track sounds like user error.

No offense.

Just education.
You're an idiot.

As it's been said, some people have been able to successfully read/write with xp, some have not.

I'm offering a simple solution for those that have not.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
He's not an idiot you [edit] DIChead. As he and I have noticed, many people try to double click through XP, I personally wanted to throw it out there to people that they should try the command prompt boot before anything else, since many people have NOT tried it.

In many cases it is user error - no need to be a [edit] DIC, he certainly wasn't being one.

The fact that is wasn't user error for you doesn't mean that someone reading this in the future won't have made that mistake. Its a good thing to make note of...to educate people on.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I do this too, works great!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
awesome, worked great for me, thanks for posting this. i couldn't make it work in XP at all, even after running bd32 from the command prompt. this should definitely be a sticky, I'm gonna sticky the thread over at ecuproject.

Paul
Glad it worked for you Paul! It's pretty simple eh?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I'm going to try this on my brand new laptop to see how it works out for me. I am probably just lucky on my other laptop as its a pretty old machine...so that might be why it just seems to work!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts